Mixer Grounding

What will happen if I remove the Ground on the 3 prong plug? I'm using Yamaha MQ802.

Someone will be electrocuted don't do it. Gear that has no earth pin is double insulated, gear that has an earth pin is not, the earth is connected to the mixer chassis so if there is a short in the mixer the chassis can not become live.

My rule of thumb is that the mixer earth is the most important earth as everything is connect the the mixer.

Alan.

THanks!

Our home doesn't have a grounding system.

What will I do?

Are you telling me that there is no earth connection in the whole house? Call an electrician, the mixer is the least of the problems. Where are you? What country are you in that the house has no earth?

alan.

Until 1962 in the US, ungrounded, unpolarized Duplex receptacles were commonly installed in homes. The ground (earth) rod or tying to the galvanized, steel water pipes was commonly used for the ground loop, at the service entrance. I would advise against using the water pipes... it can lead to a shocking, drink of water.
D

Last edited:
Until 1962 in the US, ungrounded, unpolarized Duplex receptacles were commonly installed in homes. The ground (earth) rod or tying to the galvanized, steel water pipes was commonly used for the ground loop, at the service entrance. I would advise against using the water pipes... it can lead to a shocking, drink of water.
D

The grounding in houses in Australia is to the water pipes, the connection is made to the water pipes coming into the house from the water supply grid. The idea is that the town water system burred in the ground will always have an earth connection. It is however the responsibility of the electrician to ensure that is the case as in some areas the actual soil composition is such that a poor earth is achieved. If there is a poor earth on the pipes a ground stake is driven into the ground until a good earth is found and this ground stake is bonded to the house earth and the water pipes. In the meter / distribution box the earth is also bonded to the neutral, however this may differ from country to country.

Old houses in Australia sometimes have no earth on the power points in bedrooms, the idea was that the risk of electrocution was greater in kitchens and bathrooms where you could come in contact with electricity and water (earth) and the fact that years ago in the bedroom all you had was a lamp, whereby now there is a computer, TV set, and sometimes a home studio.

I would advise anyone that has a house with outlet that have no earth to get an earth wired by an authorised electrician, just because it was OK 50 years ago it is not OK now. You will also find that a good power supply earth fixes hums, buzzes and the picking up of radio in the audio system as the shielding of the audio equipment is attached to the ground / earth.

alan.

Are you telling me that there is no earth connection in the whole house? Call an electrician, the mixer is the least of the problems. Where are you? What country are you in that the house has no earth?

alan.

Philippines. XD. I'm just 16, I think my parents won't agree if I tell them to call an electrician. =)

If you have a two prong outlet plug, but it is inside a galvanised steel wall box, then that box is grounded. It should have a bare copper grounding lead inside the box, connected to a grounding screw or anchoring screw that ties the ground to the box. If your local building code permits, you can replace the two prong outlet with a three prong grounded outlet, and tie it to the grounding screw.

Back