Mixer for podcasting/music recording...

thercman

Currently I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for recording my signing and guitar playing, as bad as they both may be. :rolleyes: Now I am interested in doing some podcasting as well. The Focusrite only has two inputs which limits me on interviews etc. I am also unable to easily mute a mic or bring in audio tracks during a live interview without a mixer. Unless someone knows of a better alternative. If you know of a way I can do this without a mixer please let me know. With that said, if I buy a mixer the plan is to replace the Focusrite. However, the preamps in 2i2 are supposed to be pretty good. So I do not want to buy a cheap mixer with crappy preamps but I am on a budget of $300. Even that is more than more than I want to spend but I could make some up selling the Focusrite since it is only 45 days old. I am considering these models: Behringer Xenyx X1204USB (bad preamps?), Peavey PV 10 USB, Mackie ProFX8, Yamaha MW12CX, Allen & Heath ZED-10FX (no sliders/good preamps?)...

Hi there,

You have plenty of different options available to you without having to give up your Focusrite. if it were me I would go out and buy a nice 'Bi-directional large diaphragm condenser with a figure of 8 polar pattern', these mics are perfect for interviews as they pick up equally from both front and back but only requiring 1 of your preamps and would easily be mutable in your DAW. in terms of using audio tracks you should be able to cue them in your DAW also and then output the main output into your podcast stream. I've not done this myself but I'm sure its possible with something like 'rewire'?

Good luck, hope this helps.

Trout

Thanks... Well, maybe I didn't structure my question right. Obviously I need a larger interface to add more mic's and other input devices to my MAC. So would I be better off getting just an interface such as a larger Focusrite or getting a mixer which is an interface with benefits? lol If mixer, which one of the companies has a better preamps? If interface what would you recommend?

Well, after reading many post on multiple forums I ordered a ZED 14. While it was more than I wanted to spend, has more channels than I really need at least I will be able to grow into it. Also, I do not need to worry about the preamps being a weak link in sound quality... Thanks guys...

Back