Mixer/Control Surface query

Xesi

Hello :)

So, I have been reading the stickies and important threads on this forum over and over but I still can't get my head around it...

I want to use Pro Tools 11 and I want to use an external control surface/mixer with it, i'm not sure of the difference, so it would be great if this could be explained. I was wondering what mixers are compatible with pro tools to use as a control surface?
thank you!:eek:

Hello :)

So, I have been reading the stickies and important threads on this forum over and over but I still can't get my head around it...

I want to use Pro Tools 11 and I want to use an external control surface/mixer with it, i'm not sure of the difference, so it would be great if this could be explained. I was wondering what mixers are compatible with pro tools to use as a control surface?
thank you!:eek:

I think folks here are a bit nonplussed as to how you have a £500 software package and not clue one as to how to use it?

Dave.

Let me give this a try -

The difference between mixers and control surfaces in this case, are that not all mixers are control surfaces. Even though a mixer may act as an interface (meaning plugs into your computer to send audio back and forth), that does not mean it will control the software directly. Off the top of my head, there are 4 viable options for mixing control surfaces. All but one are expensive. You have the 002 and the 003 Mixer control surfaces from Digidesign, and you have the M-audio Project Mix I/O. The last, is the Presonus Faderport which is not as big, but will control your software just the same. You can get a used Faderport for ~$100. The others will be running ~$400-$500+ for a used model on the cheaper side.

If you are just starting out, you may come to the conclusion (as so many of us beginners have) that to sit and mix at a desk or controller, is a luxury.

Another look into the matter and I think this page should help you. Control Surface Buying Guide

I guess I am a bit naive towards the different options when it comes to control surfaces. There seem to be several options between the Faderport and the Project Mix I/O. Does this clear up the questions you had about Control Surfaces?

Actually, you both are miss quoting/reading each other. First off, the OP said 'I want to use Pro Tools 11'. Never said he already purchased it...

Let's start over ok? :)

Shindig answered the question.

Actually, you both are miss quoting/reading each other. First off, the OP said 'I want to use Pro Tools 11'. Never said he already purchased it...

Let's start over ok? :)

Shindig answered the question.

Yes, I got that Jim but I still think it is a bit odd to contemplate "acquiring" 1/2 grand's worth of software with such an ignorance of hardware? Most noobs start with Audacity or Reaper and see how they do.

Dave.

Yes, I got that Jim but I still think it is a bit odd to contemplate "acquiring" 1/2 grand's worth of software with such an ignorance of hardware? Most noobs start with Audacity or Reaper and see how they do.

Dave.

Agreed. This is why I bite my tongue so often here. So many just 'get' the software they want, then try to figure out what they need to use it. Jury is out here.

Thanks guys i'm getting more of an iddea about this now :) and @Dave, this is a newbie forum so stop giving me stick bro, I'm just asking questions. Thanks.

Thanks guys i'm getting more of an iddea about this now :) and @Dave, this is a newbie forum so stop giving me stick bro, I'm just asking questions. Thanks.

I is customary on most forums to ask when the knowledge of the poster is out of sync with the value of the software mentioned.
Many forums are far less tolerant than HR and your delay in giving an upfront answer PDQ would have had the Jolly Roger hoisted by now!

IF you ARE going to buy PT just say so!

Dave.

I is customary on most forums to ask when the knowledge of the poster is out of sync with the value of the software mentioned.
Many forums are far less tolerant than HR and your delay in giving an upfront answer PDQ would have had the Jolly Roger hoisted by now!

IF you ARE going to buy PT just say so!

Dave.

Well, y'know in the first reply you could've given helpful information about software that would be more relevant for me at the moment.
I didn't say I was going to buy PT, just mentioned it.

I don't think you realise what 'just starting' means.

Thanks again Shindig, Jimmy and Seafroggys! Think this post should be closed or something now lol

The answer is simple to the original question. Your work flow will tell you. Start creating. If you need more microphone inputs and recording and monitoring flexibility then you may want to upgrade to a mixer or larger audio interface. If you don't like mixing and editing with a mouse you may want to upgrade to a control surface.
I know many pros that have one, both or neither and they are happy and being paid to do big projects.
Brad

Well, y'know in the first reply you could've given helpful information about software that would be more relevant for me at the moment.
I didn't say I was going to buy PT, just mentioned it.

I don't think you realise what 'just starting' means.

Thanks again Shindig, Jimmy and Seafroggys! Think this post should be closed or something now lol

I could not have given you any information about PT since I know nothing about it save it is expensive! I can help you a bit with Cubase, Samplitude, Audacity, Sonar (tho I hate it!") . I can give you advice on matters electronic and decibelic and have 50 years experience with valves.

I repeat, experience has shown that beginners who speak of starting with complex, expensive software often prove to be less than "scrupulous" shall we say in how they obtain such software. I do not therefore apologise for firing a warning shot across your bow as it were.

Oh! And "starting out". Feb 2005. My wife brought me my first copy of Sound on Sound whilst I was recovering from my second HA in hosp' and despite 50yrs in electronics I did not have clue ONE what they were on about!

Dave.

Let's start over then,

I'm sorry buddy I just came here asking a question because I am honestly just starting out and am pretty naive about it all right now.

Back