Mixer + Audiophile card = HELP!

geeq

ok, I'm really piss off routing this cables between my 8-channel Behringer Eurorack mixer and M-Audio Audiophile sound card..

Here is my setup.. I have a small recording booth for vocal recordings where the mic is connected to my mixer via XLR. The vocal is transfer thru my mixer (TAPE OUT) to my soundcard's input via RCA (white and red) cable. The output from my soundcard is connected to my mixer's TAPE IN. My MAIN OUTPUT from mixer is send to my amplifier connected to my studio monitor. I also plan to add a mic (not for recording) for communications between the control area and recording booth.

FOR THE INPUT/OUTPUT details:
8 mono input
4 XLR input
2 TAPE IN (LEFT+RIGHT = RCA)
2 TAPE OUT (LEFT+RIGHT = RCA)
2 CTRL R OUT (LEFT+RIGHT = 2 MONO)
2 MASTER OUT (LEFT+RIGHT = 2 MONO)
1 HEADPHONE OUT (MONO OUTPUT)

FROM AUDIOPHILE
2 INPUT (LEFT+RIGHT = RCA)
2 OUTPUT (LEFT+RIGHT = RCA)

My main problem is I want both vocals and instrumental playing i both HEADPHONE and STUDIO MONITOR and recording ONLY the vocal to my computer. How will I route all cables? I NEED HELP PLEASE... :(

P.S.
What the hell is an AUX?

geeq said:
My main problem is I want both vocals and instrumental playing i both HEADPHONE and STUDIO MONITOR and recording ONLY the vocal to my computer. How will I route all cables? I NEED HELP PLEASE... :(

buttons:
2TK (tape) TO CTRL ROOM -> down
2TK (tape) TO MIX -> up

This passage below will give you the answer:
"So, you want to record a vocal track. You'll also want to hear what you are about to sing along to. Okay, vocal mic goes into the mixer, and so does the output of whatever accompaniment you are using (keyboard sequence, previously recorded audio tracks, etc). If you plug the main output of the mixer into the sound card then you will record everything going through the mixer onto a single track on the PC. That's no good (if you're still with me at this point then you'll agree). What to do? Couple of options here depending on your mixer.
(i) If you have more than a "mix" output on your mixer then route the mic to a different output. eg. a separate "bus" if you have a multi bus mixer, or "monitor" output.
(ii) Use an "auxillary". These are used for routing channels to external sound processors, so pretend that your PC is a sound processor and take an auxillary to the sound card.
(iii) Use a direct out, if you have one, from the mic channel straight to the sound card. "

If my assumption is correct, beh802a does not have direct-outs. so solution#2 is your answer.

The sad truth is that for some reason, mixer manufactures don't understand that many people need to record 1 or 2 tracks seperately from the mix. I had great trouble working this out myself a few years back.
What we actually need a is a board where each channel has a record button. Press channel 1 REC and it routes to a seperate output buss which is your sound card left input. Press Channel 2 REC and it goes to an output which is the soundcard right input. Mixer channel 3 REC goes to the soundcard left again and so on. A stereo mixer channel REC button routes it to both soundcard inputs. The soundcard output feds a stereo track of the mixer so you can listen to your sequencers playback at the same time as the "live" inputs and only sen the "live" inputs you want to record with the REC button.
Simple, except nobody makes one!

The best I could find was a mixer with a seperate stereo out buss. In my case I bought a Soundcraft Spirit FX8 mixer. This has a stereo SUB (sub-mix) output. Each channel has a SUB button which switches it away from the normal main stereo mix to the SUB mix faders. There is another button that sends the SUB mix back into the Main Mix so you can monitor the SUB over the Main. The SUB outputs feed the soundcard stereo inputs.
Routing a mono channel for record means pushing its SUB button and panning it hard left or right to suit the soundcard input for your record track. My soundcard output comes in on a stereo mixer channel and my monitors are connected to the main mixer outputs.
Not ideal, because a great many mixer features aren't used - I'm basically using it as a router/preamp box! And you have to remember to pan mono tracks the right way. However, in the UK at least, The FX8 is not too expensive (£320 pounds) and its a pretty good board. I use the built in Lexicon reverb on foldback for the benefit of singers but record the tracks dry. There is also the FX16 if you want more inputs or the SX which loses the Lexicon 'verb.
Some other mixers are out there with the same sort of "SUB" buss but it may be called "ALT" (Alternative).
As already mentioned, AUX buss sends can be used to select a channel to the soundcard in, if you have them. AUX sends that are "pre-fader" are best. "Post fader" sends means your record level is dependant on your moniotr level off the mixer. 2 seperate Pre-Fade Aux sends would be needed.

The Behringer UB series at first sight seem useful. But I dont think the inputs can be switched to Main or Control Room? They're just seperate outputs from the same mix are they not? I don't think it has an AUX send either. DUH!!!!
In which case a different set-up is needed. My suggestion...

Connect your Monitors to the soundcard outputs. On the PC, launch the M-audio Delta Control Panel. On the Patchbay tab click the button that sends the Monitor Mixer to HW out 1&2.
In the Monitor Mixer enable inputs 1&2, Outputs 1&2 and the main out. Your monitors will now "hear" the output of your sequencers playback and the "live" input for recording. Your sequencer can still just record the live input provided you only use multichannel 1&2 as the tracks input.
Just use your Behringer as a pre-amp to the soundcard inputs.
Add a headphone amp if you want a performers headphone feed feed using a spliter cable between the soundcard outs and monitor amp.

Guys.... listen.... I gave the solution a few hours ago... Don't think too hard over it... Two buttons just need to sit in the right position. That's all!!
I've used a Behringer MX602A for a couple of years doing just that.

Back