Mixer and Multitrack Recorder Relationship

avieth

I'm thinking about moving away from my digital rig and buying a 16x4 mixer and a multitrack casette recorder, or reel-to-reel if I can find one.

Anyways, I was wondering where to find more information on analog recording and how all the devices work together. I'm so used to having all the goods in one device, my computer.

The most important question I have is regarding how the mixer and multitrack recorder work together. I've got a 4-track casette deck that I use off and on, but it has a built-in mixer. Would a separate mixer still be able to mix the recorded track post recording? I assume it must be able to, but how?

The most important question I have is regarding how the mixer and multitrack recorder work together. I've got a 4-track casette deck that I use off and on, but it has a built-in mixer. Would a separate mixer still be able to mix the recorded track post recording? I assume it must be able to, but how?

Lets say that the 4 track tape recorder had four outputs (meaning one output for each track), you would take each of those four outputs and put them into the first four inputs of your mixer. Then you can use the mixer to do whatever you want to the audio. That's a simple answer but, that's how I would go about doing it.

Yeah you could do that only if each track had its own output.

Some of the older Tascam 4-track cassettes were like that, but most of them made in the last 20 years (probably) only have a stereo output, so you're forced to use the onboard mixer. If you have a 4-track with its own mixer, you really don't need an external one.

You really only need an external mixer if you're planning to go reel to reel, because those machines will only have outputs for each track; they won't have a stereo output.

Yeah you could do that only if each track had its own output.

Some of the older Tascam 4-track cassettes were like that, but most of them made in the last 20 years (probably) only have a stereo output, so you're forced to use the onboard mixer. If you have a 4-track with its own mixer, you really don't need an external one.

You really only need an external mixer if you're planning to go reel to reel, because those machines will only have outputs for each track; they won't have a stereo output.

Ah, that's what I thought. I'm looking for a multitrack recorder that will do simply that, record multiple tracks, and output each separately. Can't seem to find any, I'll have to look on eBay I guess.

it sounds like what you are looking for might be the old Alesis ADAT machine.
I believe it uses VHS tapes, is capable of doing 8 tracks simultaniously, and if you have more then one of the machines you can link them for more tracks.
You have to use an external mixer, just like you describe wanting to do. If your wanting 16 channels, you would need two of the ADAT machines.
If you want have a llok at the Alesis HD24, it uses EIDE hard drives as the media to record to.
Thats the machine I have, and I have a 32 channel board attached that gives me 24 track at once capability. I have used it now for about three years or so, and it hasnt missed a beat.

Just some thoughts.
Rock On!

if your cassette portastudio has a built in mixer, your really do not need an external one. don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

every tascam portastudio that I have ever seen has tape outs for every channel, including my 424 which was one of the last generation of tascam portastudios. I suppose you could use them to break out the tracks to an extrnal mixer. not sure why you would want to though...

for reel to reel decks, you do need a mixer. any reel to reel deck designed for multi-track recording has an inputs and outputs for every channel. some have balanced I/O, some do not. You connect the R2R to your mixer with cables. its more simple than you think, just don't forget to factor in the cost of some cabling into your budget. the type of cabling will likely depend on your mixer and deck (some have RCA, some have XLR, some 1/4" balanced, etc...). The recording outs on my Onyx mixer actually go out through a Dsub connector that breaks out to 8 unbalanced XLR inputs on my tape deck.

The Alesis HD24 does just what I want, but I have my heart set on finding a reel to reel. I might just pick up an old VHS ADAT machine for now, even though it's not technically analog.

you're probably way better off recording to DAW than using out-dated technology like ADATs or VCR tapes. What is your current digital rig? lots of guys use DAWs as simply "tape decks" these days. they use a board for mixing and summing, use outboard effects, etc...

You want to go at least 24-bit/44.1kHz digital these days. ADAT is only 16-bit I believe?

you're probably way better off recording to DAW than using out-dated technology like ADATs or VCR tapes. What is your current digital rig? lots of guys use DAWs as simply "tape decks" these days. they use a board for mixing and summing, use outboard effects, etc...

You want to go at least 24-bit/44.1kHz digital these days. ADAT is only 16-bit I believe?

My digital rig works just fine, and I'm completely happy with its performance. I'm just looking to get away from digital audio, since I've never experienced an all-analog system. I've decided that I want hardware, not software. I want the faders at my fingertips, and I want my work in a tangible form, not just files on a hard drive. Right now I prefer working on my TASCAM Portastudio 244 over my powerful computer. In my opinion, analog is just more fun.

I've found a Fostex B 16 for sale, and I'll probably buy it. Then a Mackie 1604-VLZ3, some new microphones (why not?) and as many signal processors as I can find. Good idea?

yeah. except for the "as many signal processors as I can find" deal. I would buy a couple really really good ones rather than a lot of okay ones. I'd rather have 1 manley massive than 16 dbx graphic eq's.

I would say it doesn't really matter if you are going to use it as if it is an analog machine. Just think of it as analog without hiss. LOL That's what I do. I use all the techniques I learned from analog recording, and I just use digital MTM's.

It's one thing if you are maintaining an all digital path, it's another if you are routing it back through an analog mixer to actually mix it on.
Take that for what it's worth, it's just my opinion.

Tim

This is still bugging me. Here's what I think would work with an 8-track reel to reel and a mixer:

Track x output of recorder to track x line input on mixer. Track x direct out of mixer to track x input on recorder. Microphones and instruments go through the mixer then to the recorder via the direct outs, yet I can still monitor them. I would need a mixer that allows me to select mic/line for each track, since the recorder comes in through line, and instruments through mic.

Correct?

Back