mixed over track

Sinistah

Plutonium Bundle Advocate
don't know what da hell is goin on

i just remixed (meaning mixed over) da only session file that didn't get swiped out by a virus, its old and already on my myspace page ("Sin U Killin Em")....

any advice or things to look out for on the mixing end of things

1. wave file = http://www.zshare.net/audio/48418544e5f7c3/

2. mp3 file = http://www.zshare.net/audio/4841950e8536be/

don't trash me too hard, lmaooo, i don't have speakers meant for monitoring, jus some bullshit harmon/kardon pc joints!

feel free to download if ya'll want.... jus came here for some mixing critique, the song itself has been complimented on with good remarks

well let me know what ya'll think, this is my first actual mixdown in months literally, so holla, i'm off to finish some greenery and write to another track!

DEFINITELY NICE BEAT! I AGREE THAT THE VOCALS ARE IN NEED OF CLARITY - now im not sure if that's "the mix" or the "take" that you have - seems like there's some peaking/loudness in the vocals that cant be "mixxed" out . . . they sound like they are not "loud" enough to really "hear" all the words, but they do sound like they are almost getting ready to "crack" or "clip" . . . dude got nice flow - props to da skillz up in that too

i say re-track/re-record the verses . . .

yeah i was gonna re-record it, well thinkin of re-recordin it at a later date, the peaking might be due to the vocals being triple-layered, but i didnt really do nothin to distinguish them from the others but turned the other two layers down a bit from the vocals so the different vocal tracks might be beefin each other up...

that might be why parts sound kinda mashed too aside from the minor frequency issues, i was messin round wit the Q's on da multi-band i think i left 2 bands a lil too close to each other...... it's cool though i still got the original tracking of it so i might mess wit it again when i get off work...

funny thing is when i was playin it in my DAW, there was no indication of clipping in the overall mix, and the none of the vocal tracks clipped individually, i think the vocals being high came about during the mixing process rather than tracking, unless it was a "popping" issue due to not having a pop-filter.... if anything i knew the hook would be kinda fucked because i saved it after i put that nasty ass reverb/echo on it, actually a few things i did while mixing the hook got the reverb minimized but the vocals are still gonna be kinda loud because of the layering...

hopefully a bit more detail of eq'ing and a slight decible decrease might help with the clarity a bit more, i can't take credit for the production the track was courtesy of my dude Trip out in Delaware, i can't produce at all... i just rhyme, so i can take credit for that part at least, lol!

thanks for the feedback, i'mma see if i can try somethin different wit it....

Last edited:
ok so i took another listen, sounds like the problem with the clarity is somewhere between my low-mids to high's as far as the EQ'ing goes, as well as the two bands of Q that i forgot to spread out..... once i hit the batcave i will see if i can work on that......

and maybe i'll try to hard-pan the double and triple layers (adlibs) and bring the decibles down a notch on them so they can be present but distinguishable from the main vocals

as far as the hook......fuck it nobody's perfect, i'll see if i can find a way to drop the volume on those without doing more damage since thats the only part of the vocals i saved with effects already on them.....

Back