Mixed on forever and over produced?

kjam22

Here's a song I've had a for a while, and mixed on what seems like forever. Started out simple and has turned into some production.

I'd appreciate any comments, criticizms, or whatever on the production, mix, song.... or just any aspects.

Recorded on Yamaha AW4416 and I played all of the tracks.

And I'm offering 10 bonus attaboys to the first person to identify where I ripped off the song from :)

Song is #5 on the page..... "Heaven Flashing"

Link is http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2124&alid=-1

Thanks guys.....

The guitars sound really nice... The kick is a little "Metal" for this tune... The vocals seem a little thin and not quite attached to the rest of the mix...

Sounds like a Dylan tune of a name I can't remember...

"I wish that for just one time you'd mix on my headphones - You'd know what a drag it is to hear them"

I know, that's not really the lyrics...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thanks for the comments. I know what you mean about the vocal.... but I don't know for sure what to do to it to make it sound "part of" the mix. I can put some more body on it.... but it may get a little muddy? Or maybe some room verb? Any ideas?

My voice on most songs generally has issues :)

I'd have to guess that it's the mic... Just seems to thin sounding. More body is exactly what it needs. Of course, you don't want to get in everything else's way...

You can try dipping a dB or two of whatever the resonant frequency in your voice on the guitars to make a little room...

"Positively 4th St.?"

JS

Massive Master said:
I'd have to guess that it's the mic... Just seems to thin sounding. More body is exactly what it needs. Of course, you don't want to get in everything else's way...

You can try dipping a dB or two of whatever the resonant frequency in your voice on the guitars to make a little room...

"Positively 4th St.?"

JS

Thanks.... I'll try that. The mic I used is a Studio Projects C-1.

Positively 4th street is an awesome Dylan Song...... but not connected to this song. You are on the right track though.

Yeah man...very Dylan-esque....

I like a lot about this mix.....
The reed organ sounds canned...not good
The drums sound good...real good...are they real?
The acoustic guit sounds sweet....
the bass is very good but just a little heavy on the low end and could use a high mid boost...
The electric guits sound decent is some parts (twangy country flange parts) and over compressed in others(Neil Young-ish guit)...
I thought the mouth harp was super good....really top shelf performance and sound wise...
The vocals...oh the vocals....
well...Dylan can't sing well man.....so if you want to emulate his sound...I suppose that's fine....He is a great writer though and a very good entertainer...I like his stuff for sure...an original...an icon you might say.....but,....it's his sound....not yours...ya know?
You sound better than him man.....get your fingers off of your nose and go for it dude...

Good songwriting man...very cool..
Joe

joro said:
Yeah man...very Dylan-esque....

I like a lot about this mix.....
The reed organ sounds canned...not good
The drums sound good...real good...are they real?
The acoustic guit sounds sweet....
the bass is very good but just a little heavy on the low end and could use a high mid boost...
The electric guits sound decent is some parts (twangy country flange parts) and over compressed in others(Neil Young-ish guit)...
I thought the mouth harp was super good....really top shelf performance and sound wise...
The vocals...oh the vocals....
well...Dylan can't sing well man.....so if you want to emulate his sound...I suppose that's fine....He is a great writer though and a very good entertainer...I like his stuff for sure...an original...an icon you might say.....but,....it's his sound....not yours...ya know?
You sound better than him man.....get your fingers off of your nose and go for it dude...

Good songwriting man...very cool..
Joe

LOL....... Hey thanks, I really appreciate the comments. No way I sound better than Dylan! He's THE MAN! :)

Drums are real. Pearl kit....4 mics ---beta52, 2 sm81's on top, and a 57 snare. Organ is a Roland patch.

Back