Mixed and Mastered.. Tell me what you think..

Thirst

Ok how is everyone doing today..

I tend to not put much effort into my tracks being that most of them are for nothing more then internet fun.. But..

A friend asked me to mix and master a track and this is what I came up with.. He is singing and not rapping.. First time I mix vocals like this.. another thing is I was given the instrumental in an mp3 form so it wasnt good quality at all.. Vocals were given to me as mp3's as well to save time transfering the file..

I had to do alot to the beat to bring life back to it.. Add low's draw out alot of the mid's and bring back some hi's to give it the cleaner clearer sound that the original .wav had.. Vocals Were Recorded on his mic, if they were done on my mic they would have had a little more volume to them i think.. Being that everything was mp3's I am very happy with this..

This is the final version after everything was said and done.. Put some work into this one last night..

Song is called " Slippin Away "

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/thirst1music.htm

Its a really nice song.. Has such a mellow feel to it.. Very smooth and relaxing to listen to.. Hes not the best of singers but I think he does a really good job on this considering he doesnt sing too much.. Anyway I hope you enjoy..

also keep in mind soundclick only lets me upload 128kbps mp3's so that is trash but.. Hope yall enoy regardless..

Listening...

Some strange noise in the intro - Assuming it belongs there...

Kick is sucking the entire mix down into compression release hell...

Opinionated stuff: I'd use a little less FX on the lead vocal... I like the stereo panning delay and the "wash" is pretty nice in places, but there's some overly verbed areas that are, again, getting lost in the compression on this tune...

Other than that, everything is pretty clear - That's a cool place to be... On the mastering end, I'd reconsider the attack/release on the comp - Multi-band if you can so that kick is in its own world.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

If I could only do one thing, I'de change the length of the song. IMHO, it's slightly too long (4:45?) and the intro seems to delay the lyrical focus of the tune. I was waiting for the vocals to kick in and they didn't get there fast enough for my tastes. If I could change two things, I would either eliminate the delay or shorten it and apply it uniformly to a repeating lyric or section.

Thanks alot..

Well the kick is probably like that considering it was an mp3 file.. I ran it threw a 30 band equalizer and messed with it for a while to bring life back to it.. Only compression added was during mastering, a little compression was added but I think what your hearing is just the face that it was only one mp3 file instead of being individual files for me to adjust..

Shit Thirst you have talent. A Family funeral sounds pretty good on my 5$ pc speakers (im at work). You kinda sound like eminem, not saying its good or bad cuz i dont listen to rap. But I can tell you rap very good.

Thanks man.. I appreciate it...

Yea for some reason when I get emotional or raise my voice I sound like eminem... Shit someone gotta want to hear me then if he's selling 10 million records right lol..

anyway thanks for posting that, that track meant alot to me..

Back