Mixdown!

Gainfreak

I am a guitarist and I am just getting back into recording. I was wondering what is the best medium to use for your final mix? Do I need a dat machine or would a standard stereo VCR be a good Idea? Mini disk? or CDRW? I'm not sure how to mixdown to a CDRW or Mini disk!!
As far as equipment goes, i am using a PIII 1 ghz pc with 128 megs ram 40 gig hd. Layla audio card. Mackie 1604vlz mixer.
Any Input would be greatly appreciated!!

Since you already have a decent computer, and it sounds like your tracking with it, CD-RW would be the cheapest/best route of the choices you listed.

Assuming your using some software multitracker, you do your mix and output/export it as a 2 track stereo file. You can then burn this to CD-RW using software, Adaptec EZ-CD, Nero, etc..

More often before burning you would open the 2 track stereo wav file in an editor like Wavelab or Soundforge and edit out noise at the start, end, do fadeouts/in's maybe some compression, EQ, dithering etc. Than save that file and burn it with EZ-CD, Nero etc.

Wavelab is great editor, has built in CD burning and allows to create an audio montage of all the tracks, spacing, order etc.

www.steinberg.net
www.roxio.com

Thanks Emeric!!
I am going to buy a CD-RW!!

For now, i am using cakewalk pro audio 9 to record my guitar tracks and I'm using various drum loops. For Midi Im using a korg 01wfd and I borrowed my friends kurzweil k2000.(He is a lawyer now and doesnt have time to use it!!)
I'm running all audio and midi to the Mackie but
Now I have to figure out how to get the mix back into the PC for the 2 track mixdown! Any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!

If your doing all the mixing of the tracks within Cakewalk, than it should have some type of File/Mixdown, or File Export audio function.

If your sending multiple outputs from your soundcard and then mixing on the Mackie, you could take a main stereo output from the board back into two spare inputs of your soundcard and record it on two tracks in Cakewalk.

As for the MIDI stuff, don't know. You could record the outputs of the keyboards direct into the soundcard and then deal with them as wav's I suppose.

Emeric:

I am sending everything out to the Mackie( keyboard sounds and all) so If I do take the main stereo output from the Mackie back into 2 spare inputs of the soundcard and record it on two tracks in Cakewalk it should work perfectly!! Once I get it to the pc, I could convert it to a.wav file and burn a cd.
Thank you much for your input, It was greatly appreciated!!

Back