Mixdown questions

ultrajosh

When I use /File /Export /Audio mixdown, I end up with 2 separate wav files, one L and orn R - how do I get a single stereo file? I want to get exactly what I'm hearing through the speakers onto a CD for reference - shouldn't be too complicated - but apparently it is. I tried going to an MP3 file and it sounded completely different.

more mixdown questions

Thank you - that worked. Now I'm noticing that the mixdowns don't sound as good as the mix (e.g. it sounds better while still in Cubase). The .wav file sounds pretty good, but when I export to WMA format, the vocals seem louder than I intended, and the mix seemed kind of crowded and muddy. Are there some settings I'm missing? :confused:

There are a couple of check boxes in that same window that say something to the effect of "use automation" and "use effects", make sure those are checked. Other than that, I'm not quite sure. You are going to a compressed format, so that could be the problem.

so... what format do I use?

The CD burning app I have wouldn't accept .wav files - I have this thing called Nero. Can someone recommend an app I can use to burn CD's from .wav files? Is .wav the best format? What bitrate is supported on typical CDs? I'm running Windows XP. Any info appreciated!

ultrajosh said:
The CD burning app I have wouldn't accept .wav files - I have this thing called Nero. Can someone recommend an app I can use to burn CD's from .wav files? Is .wav the best format? What bitrate is supported on typical CDs? I'm running Windows XP. Any info appreciated!

Well, I don't know where/ how you saved your 'mixdown' file. But I use Nero (not often, but sometimes, as one of my PCs has it) and I can burn .wav files just fine.
Also, don't get ahead of yourself in this process as it sounds like you are going straight into a compress format without even a proper rough mix, let alone a proper 'mastering'. Someone said it earlier, WMA is a downgraded quality from .wav. Why would you wanna check how good your mix sounds in such a format?
To answer your other question, you may wanna check out Roxio's CD Creator, which I use mostly.
If you have Wavelab, there is an option to burn to CD as well (in the full version). This may prove better, especially if you've transported your mixdown file to Wavelab for some 'mastering' (I use the term loosely, of course), or overall treatment...

I'll check the settings in Nero - maybe I have a trial version or something. The reason I want to burn to CD is to have a rough mix to listen to on different systems, and of course to share stuff with the band (we record the rehearsals), and to teach them new songs, etc. So what I want is to simply dump my Alesis HD24 files into Cubase, tweak some levels and throw a little reverb on the vocals, then burn the resulting "mix" to a CD. My only other option is to go out to a cassette deck, but no-one has a cassette player anymore, and it's nice to be able to pass the files around by e-mail or post them on a website, e.g. "check out the version of 'Pennsylania' we did last night".

It's funny, because I was hesitant to get into computer-based recording in the first place because I didn't want to spend all my time mousing around just to do simple things like rough mixes and "tricky" stuff like fades. I spent (wasted) a week gettin my stupid soundcard working, and now I realize I should have gotten a different one (MIA MIDI works/sounds a ton better than the SoundBlaster I returned, but for the same price the EMU 1212M also has 8 chanels of lightpipe and a Firewire port).

Argh! I just want to make music! Sometimes I want to scrap this whole system and just buy an analog console.

Nero will do just fine for all the burning you need to do. I actually prefer it over the Roxio apps. When you do your mixdown, make sure you selct stereo interleaved and include all effects and automation. Also, Cubase should give you options of what file format to save to. Under this section select Wave File (.wav). Also, make sure it is 16 bit 44.1khz. I also highly reccomend reading the complete manual and buying a tutorial book. It may not all make sense at first, but much of the info you need will magically come back to you when you need it. It will open your eyes to a whole new world of possibilities. Good Luck:)

Back