Mix tapes

DEADLY

Hi,
I'm a turntablist and have been DJing for some years now. I've played in clubs and battles but now i want to move onto the mix tape scene. I just wondered if any of you have any ideas about the best way to make a batch of tapes and how and where to sell them.
Cheers. I would appreciate any feedback.

Tried to email you but didn't work for some reason, so here's my questions anyway.

1. How do you go about making a batch of tapes. Do you try to sign to a label or do most people make their tapes independantly?

If you do get these tapes done independantly:

2. How many do you need?

3. How much does this cost?

4. How do you go about selling them (where,how)?

Any help is great because I'm really serious about this. But am new to this area of Djing and could do with a few pointers.

can i be on one of ur mixtapes?

www.pressademo.com

use that site, to manufacture the mixtape, first of all get hungry kats that want promotion, ill ones, with a variety of different styles not just underground but commercial, underground, dirty south, east coast, all types

i would sell them in the ghetto, in the projects section 8, or infront of music stores like FYI, sam ash, after sport games, or after highschool games, in downtown

DEADLY said:
Tried to email you but didn't work for some reason, so here's my questions anyway.

1. How do you go about making a batch of tapes. Do you try to sign to a label or do most people make their tapes independantly?
2. How many do you need?
3. How much does this cost?
4. How do you go about selling them (where,how)?.....
1a. I am unclear on what you mean by "a batch of tapes"?

1b. You should start out on an independent level. Once you start selling a TREMENDOUS amount of mixtapes per volume, try to approach a label.

2. How much money do you have to mass produce your CD's/tapes?

3. Once again, the more money you have (for duplication) costs, the more units you'll be able to duplicate.

4. There are a myriad of ways to sell your product. I'll list a few of them (remember...... the game is to be sold, not told). :cool:
You could sell them.....
out of your car
outside of clubs
at venues where you dj
to your local record stores
on your local college radio station
at the malls
in the parking lot of some local hangouts
etc.............

peace.

More questions

Cheers. Just another couple of questions.

1. Can u play anything on a mixtape or do u have to have clearance for each track/sample.

2. Roughly what percentage of the cost of each tape would a shop want if they agreed to sell them on a sale-or-return basis.

Deadly... sorry about the email glitch - new email software had shit jacked up for days. Email again so I'll have your address - i'm already working on a detailed response to your questions, as well as some folks you can run shit to if you need help along the way...

diendolo
DirtRoadShow@earthlink.net

Re: More questions

DEADLY said:
Cheers. Just another couple of questions.

1. Can u play anything on a mixtape or do u have to have clearance for each track/sample.

2. Roughly what percentage of the cost of each tape would a shop want if they agreed to sell them on a sale-or-return basis.

1. Yes, you can play anything on a mixtape, but it is against the law.

You are supposed to get clearance, but 95% of the DJ's don't get clearance. :eek:

So.......................................... :rolleyes:

2. Roughly, the stores will buy them for $5 dollars each and sell them for 10 dollars each.

If you go the consignment route, the stores will give you $6 or $7 dollars each and sell them for $10 dollars each.

Flo' Dolo. I've already posted all my questions above. Any advice/comments u have would be appreciated. Peace.

Deadly, looks like you got some decent info to begin with. If/when you're at a place where you wanna get your tapes off to some moms & pops retailers and cats who push mixtapes, let me know. I'll shoot you some good connects...

diendolo

Flo' Dolo said:
..... If/when you're at a place where you wanna get your tapes off to some moms & pops retailers and cats who push mixtapes, let me know. I'll shoot you some good connects.....

I will also....... :cool:

Back