Mix opinions appreciated

Shiny Rhino

Hi,

Here's a new song that I finished up yesterday for a girl who came to me with only chords and vocal melody. She wanted me to produce and compose/arrange all the other instrumentation and gave me the green light to take it in any direction I saw fit. She mentioned "Taylor Swift" so I tried to steer it in that direction.

I'll admit that although I run a small project studio, I'm still learning the art/science of mixing and shine more in the production/composing realm than engineering at this point. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

Clear - Original Song by Justine Lauren Collins

Catchy tune... seems like alot going on though, especially in the chorus. Drums are a bit busy for my taste and I think they're mudding up the low end a touch.

I like the piano riff but I didn't care for the tone of it when it came in, reverb seemed heavy. Vocals are clear and seem to sit in the mix rather well.

I also thought the cymbals were a little buried in the mix... I know that's alot of negative stuff, sorry to be that way but when people want honest opinions I don't think it's fair to say, "awesome job, sounds great"..lol

Anyway, I'm not a professional but I am a music lover and that is 99.9% of your audience.

Catchy tune... seems like alot going on though, especially in the chorus. Drums are a bit busy for my taste and I think they're mudding up the low end a touch.

I like the piano riff but I didn't care for the tone of it when it came in, reverb seemed heavy. Vocals are clear and seem to sit in the mix rather well.

I also thought the cymbals were a little buried in the mix... I know that's alot of negative stuff, sorry to be that way but when people want honest opinions I don't think it's fair to say, "awesome job, sounds great"..lol

Anyway, I'm not a professional but I am a music lover and that is 99.9% of your audience.

Ya....no probs with your comments. I appreciate you taking the time. It would be easier for me to mix it properly if all the tracks were given to me recorded elsewhere, but when I have been hearing it over and over as I compose and arrange, I find I can easily overlook things that stand out to other listeners with fresh ears, which is why I posted it. I agree with the cymbals and general drum comments. I wasn't making as much money on this song as I should have because it was a promo product, so I rushed the drum mixing a bit. I'll listen again for the piano, although I'm not sure if i agree on that one... it was sorta tailored for this application and I remember being happy with it at the time, but again, I'll throw my objective ears back on and have another pass at it with tone in mind. Cheers.

tHE PIANO INTRO IS FINE.
Personally I'd like a little more definition in the bass guitar.
Something a little lighter and more tied togetehr would've been a better option for the solo. The piano sounds like it's simply marking time.
The piano riff in the outro is better than the solo.
Good work mate!

Good driving tune once the verses start. Yanked me right into the song. Intro is good but not up to the level of the drive of the verses. I think you'd be better served by revising the reflecting echoing off the verse music.

Chorus is ok, wish it were as strong as the verses.

Mix wise, chorus is a bit busy and the singer's a touch recessed in the mix. I'd try lift the voice up just a touch.

Piano rollout after the choruses are ok, but the same thing is played twice with little variation. Recommend mixing it up a little bit. You had my interest on use #1, but on use 2 it had the word "filler" all over it.

I really do like the tune and think with a little work it could be an excellent tune.

Rick

I'd raise those cymbals quite a bit, and the kick a tiny bit. The drums do seem a little busy, but that's a matter of taste I guess. I'd maybe double the vocals a little more to make them less dry. Overall it sounds pretty nice.

Back