mix /master check please?

what do you think of this group?

• THESE GUYS ROCK!!!!!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I'm not sure, i need to hear more.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • They're alright, nothing new going on here though.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • THEY SUCK!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
This Rocks!

I'm listening to Afterglow right now. Sounds good to me. Hi Hat might be a little loud at times and I feel the Bass but it seems to lack a little definition. Some crash hits sound loud to me too. Singer reminds me of Bon Jovi, but that's a good thing! These guys are good.

Nice work! I'll have to listen to the other songs too.

therage-
thanks for the listen. i notice that about the hats at times also. and the bon jovi thing is hilarious......
have you given a listen to the other tunes yet? i think 1 of those may need a bit more help than the other. but thanx for your input.

Afterglow:
The drums sound "strange" - the snare has no depth - as a matter of fact, none of the kit does. Did you compress the hell out of the drums?

The bass just seem to boom in and out with no real focus.

The whole mix is lacking punch and mid-definition - also sounds like the highs have been boosted excessively.

Waiting:
Again - very thin and compressed sounding... the drums especially. The tom rolls sound very fake.

Once more, bass is more boom than well-defined.

Somehow the rhythm section doesn't cut enough - you hear drums and vocals more than anything else.

Noticed some significant distortion in a few spots. Same excessive high-end....

Wall Between Us:
Much of the above comments apply here too.... in addition, there's a lot of serious flanging on the cymbals -- watch that mic placement!

Tom rolls again don't sound "real"....

Same thin overall sound.

Overall - I've heard far worse than this - as a matter of fact, a client showed me some metal samples yesterday that were truly horrible (and these were major "releases"!) - but I think you could get much better results if you remixed and watched for the things I've noted...!

Good luck with it!

blue bear-
thank you!!!! only thing that was compressed on the drums was the kick. then the overall mix was compressed and high end around 15k was boosted with a wide bandwidth about 1.5 db. same boost around 150hz. im not sure i understand what you mean about the tom rolls sounding fake. they were actually played in realtime by the drummer, but i dont think thats what you mean. could you give a little more of an explanation on that please?
also, i do hear what you mean, how do i remedy the thin sound in your opinion?
i'd appreciate your help alot. thanks!

spacedye said:
im not sure i understand what you mean about the tom rolls sounding fake. they were actually played in realtime by the drummer, but i dont think thats what you mean. could you give a little more of an explanation on that please?
Well - if you've ever heard the sound of the quantized tom fills on Alesis SR16 drum machine presets played at slightly too fast a tempo - that's what they sounded like to me!

spacedye said:
also, i do hear what you mean, how do i remedy the thin sound in your opinion?
You *might* get some mid-range punch back with a multiband compressor, but you really should remix it...

I liked the song. The drums sounded muffled. Both the snare and the kick. The crash was dull and the hi hat was bright. The vocals were fine. Is that Bon Jovi?-lol I generally agree with what has already been said.
Its not real bad, but this song is a good one and deserves a better mix.
Myx

P.S. The Mix on the new Bon Jovi CD Bounce really sucks IMHO so I wouldnt use it as a reference.

thanks for the inputs.
very funny comments about the bon jovi mix. LOL!!!!
but it is nice to know that you have heard worse mixes......

Back