Mix I'm working on.

reganito

I'd love any and all tips and criticisms of this mix. The vocals and lead guitar aren't done yet, but I wanted to see if I'm heading in the right direction. Thank you.

Drums are too dry and up front and sound really fake. The wide tom panning is off-putting.
The guitars sound very sim-like in the quality that they are very flat. They have an ok metal tone but they're just so compressed.
The bass isn't very prominent. I can hear it mimicking the guitars down low but it could be an octave pedal for all I know.

Drums are too dry and up front and sound really fake. The wide tom panning is off-putting.
The guitars sound very sim-like in the quality that they are very flat. They have an ok metal tone but they're just so compressed.
The bass isn't very prominent. I can hear it mimicking the guitars down low but it could be an octave pedal for all I know.

Thank you for taking time to reply and critique. I tried your suggestions. I added top end to the guitars, narrowed the pan on the toms and lowered the drums. I also raised the bass level.

Last edited:
Sounds good, a pretty cool little slack-key figure you're playing there. I am listening to the original posting because your link immediately above isn't working. The drums sound fake, and being a little too loud probably doesn't help that.

Without a vocal melody it's hard to tell where you're going with it.

All in all you've got a pretty good platform to do just about anything you want melodically.

---------- Update ----------

And the drums might well be fake, but they don't sound boxy, so you're off to a good start I reckon.

Thank you for the critique and kind words. I think I got the second link working now. Edit: It's working now.

Last edited:
Overall I thought it sounded OK. Agree with Schwartz in not caring for the fake drums. Just me.

Only other mix comment is with the guitars. There is quite a bit of low end on them. I might roll some of that off and give more room to the bass in the low end.

I decided to give the mix another go and then I'll leave you all be. I high passed the guitars a little and raised the bass. There are some tuning issues with my bass so I'm going to retrack it anyway.

I only listened to your last mix on this. The drums sound very mechanical but are totally buried behind the guitars. The bass is hardly noticable to me, but my monitors only go down to 43Hz - if this is mixed for a sub, I can't hear it that part

Listened to the most recent mix. The guitars sound digital, and not in a good way (I'm actually a supporter of amp sims when dialed in properly). Drums are way too buried, and like mjbphotos mentioned, there's no bass to be found. As I've said in the MP3 Clinic a million times, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME BASS!!! The bass sounds like it was high pass filtered from 200hz and down. I'm sure it wasn't, but it may as well have been.

Until the levels are all balanced and vocals are recorded it's really hard to get a good critique here.

Back