Mix Critique

jhadden1412

Heyo,

So I just recorded, mixed and mastered and entire album that a drummer buddy and myself made and I would love to hear any feedback on the mixes, as thats what I feel I spent the most time and effort on. This CD is completed and released but I have already started on the next one, so if there are any blaring inconsistencies or things that you think should be brought out in the forth coming album, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

https://sunbatherband.bandcamp.com/releases

Joe

Can you point out a song that you have in question? Asking to listen to a whole album's worth of music is rather taxing. Many people here when they listen, they listen really close (I mean stuff most people would never hear).

So start out with the one you would like to use as a reference for the rest of your material. You will get a lot more responses.

I listened to "Where is This Cloud" because it was first on the list.

I thought the vocal was pretty decent sounding. A bit over-hyped high end to it. The reverb on it didn't fit the genre. I'd go for something much smaller and less noticeable.

When things kick in around :42, the vocals really get covered up.

I liked the sound of the clean guitars.

The bass was fairly indistinct and at times tough to hear. Other times it was too loud. It's a little muddy.

You have a drummer buddy, but those drums sound canned. Maybe I'm off.

I like the almost-crunch guitars too.

Yeah so the drummer friend only recorded real drums on about 6 songs the rest are samples I placed. I guess a good song to listen to to save you all from having to check the whole thing out would be either the song called Vice or the song called Pilot Guide. Appreciate the feedback. I normally post individual songs here and have got some great feedback but I guess with this post I was kinda curious what you thought about how they sounded song to song since each song was recorded in different parts of the world, with different rooms, and some sampled drums and some real etc..
The next EP or LP will be all real drums in the same studio by the way but I will probably still mix it all myself.
Thanks

I listened to Vice.

Bass wasn't very clear (it was loud, but muddy) and the vocals were totally lost when it kicked in. The high guitar seemed to be rather too loud. It sounded like all of the elements are there and in a very good performance, just mixing needs sorted out.

I'm listening to "Vice" and I agree that all the good elements are here, but the mix display those elements in a better light.

Although the bass is a little muddy, I think it sounds pretty cool. Sounds like a song that would have been in Scrubs or Garden State. The vox could definitely be pushed up 2-3db at least. Get those beautiful vocals out front where we can hear them! Drum kit sounds pretty tight and balanced in general. Clean rhythm guitars are real nice.

Overall I definitely enjoyed this!

Back