Mix Contest #9

BRIEFCASEMANX,

very good balance

parts all seem to have a home... 3d quality... nice use of space

somewhat Toolish type mix

easy to listen too

heavy but soft feel

at 4:43 the vocal seems a bit too much on top.

nice transition at 5:05... good toms

vanbas2 said:
Hi

My first try
snare has a nice bite

the overheads are bit much. maybe soften them some roll off below 500Hz and add air above 11kHz

good use of depth

i wanted more guitar, especially during the chorus parts and during bridge

all right........heres what i've gotten out of the current mixes.......alot of it has been said as i was writing while listening and didn't go thru all the previous notes untill the end.....so ...sorry for any redundency(orhoweveryouspellthat)

NLS mix #1

pros-drums sound is perfect to my ears, i love the crystal clear metal work!

cons-guitars are uneven and seem to lean heavy to the right, bass needs some definition, and the vox need to be a hair more upfront.

OCNOR mix #1

pros- panning on vox during corus is very cool

cons- too much effect on vox thru out(verb?) which may be why the mix seems muddy to me.

DOGMAN mix #1

pros- guitars appear to be more even, and the vox level is spot on

cons- drums are getting buried (comp?), the EQ on vox is a little high and tinny sounding, and the bass seems to be non-existaint

TIMBOZ mix #1

pros- i like the idea of "spacing" out the corus vox, maybe delay would be appropriat(orhoweveryouspellthat)

cons- there is a strange phenom happining with comp. it seems in alot of the mixs..like its eating itself. hard for me to explain.

VANBASZ mix #1

pros- like the bass in this mix alot!, intresting sound effect though i'm not sure it fits this song. drum mix is good

cons- sounds like the guitars are panned 20-20% maybe harder L and R would work better? in turn making the mix less muddy, and the bass could come up more.

TIMBOZ mix #2

pros- vox are much better. did you add much delay? bass sounds better too, maybe cuz the verb on the vox isn't in the way anymore..

cons- still "eating itself" phenom going on

BREIFCASEMANX mix #1

pros- love the vox! great effect with delay and/or verb your using. also has a good EQ all around.

cons- vox could come up more. and what the hell is going on with the "eating itself" phenom? (nothing personal to you breif) a few of the mixs have had this........can anyone explain? kinda only happens when the drums hit a roll.

NLS mix #2******sorry for missing this one, ********

pros- vox level is much better here!

cons- the guitars still seem to be leaning to the right...could just be me. i need to work on the sound in my room some more.

so there it is...........hope it helps and can't wait to hear more mixs!

Last edited:
The thread posted about what happened to the mix contest, led me to post this...

What kind of mix thread is this Perdicament?

Contest?

Lesson?

I need to know what is expected of me. Shall I listen to all stages of their mixing process and give comments or wait for the final mix? :confused:

turtlishous said:
NLS mix #1

pros-drums sound is perfect to my ears, i love the crystal clear metal work!

cons-guitars are uneven and seem to lean heavy to the right, bass needs some definition, and the vox need to be a hair more upfront.

Thanks for the review - I assume that is for my first mix - all the cons should be fixed in the second mix. :D

true-eurt said:
The thread posted about what happened to the mix contest, led me to post this...

What kind of mix thread is this Perdicament?

Contest?

Lesson?

I need to know what is expected of me. Shall I listen to all stages of their mixing process and give comments or wait for the final mix? :confused:

Welp, I would be kinda leaning twards getting all the mixes as good as possible....Afterall, this is a forum to improve and get feedback....I'd still like to keep it as a contest for the final best mix.... I mean that's the fun of it....but why not have everyone get feedback along the way...It may even put a little pressure on the better/more skilled mixers to raise their level too...

;) :p

Perdicament said:
Welp, I would be kinda leaning twards getting all the mixes as good as possible....Afterall, this is a forum to improve and get feedback....I'd still like to keep it as a contest for the final best mix.... I mean that's the fun of it....but why not have everyone get feedback along the way...It may even put a little pressure on the better/more skilled mixers to raise their level too...

i kinda wondered the same thing as true.?! thats why i didn't want to post a oppinion on anything untilll the final, but i also see your point and would agree that it would raise the stakes some to have feedback. however, will there be any kinda of reward for the mix that is chosen? that would be some incentive to raise the bar on the mixs.
or this could simply be just a clinic for mixing......?

either way its fun to hear the mixing evolve! :)

Perdicament said:

Okay...I just hope they all can understand shark jarble. :D

BentRabbit said:
Here's my first stab....

Need to rest my ears now but curious as to what it sounds like out there...
initial impression is it's a bit dull... both the bottom and top seem to lack definition

instrument balance seems pretty even so be careful

opening the top (air) would go along ways in adding depth but again watch affecting the overall instrument balance, but I'd affect this at the instrument level and not on the master buss

the whole mix rolls off at about 5db/oct which is a bit much for this genre

I just downloaded the tracks. I've never mixed someone elses tracks before, but I'll give it a shot. I doubt it will be good, but maybe I'll learn something from it. :)

K.P. said:
initial impression is it's a bit dull... both the bottom and top seem to lack definition

instrument balance seems pretty even so be careful

opening the top (air) would go along ways in adding depth but again watch affecting the overall instrument balance, but I'd affect this at the instrument level and not on the master buss

the whole mix rolls off at about 5db/oct which is a bit much for this genre

Awesome...

Thanks for the extra set of ears

I'll revisit it this weekend and see if I hear what you're hearing and try and make some adjustments

:)

Okay, here's my first attempt. i've never been involved in a 'mixing contest' before, or even mixed someone elses music, so go easy on me. :p

Any critiques very welcome.

BentRabbit...The only thing I don't like on the instruments is the kick. a bit to punchy at times. And the vocals I would play around with the delay time or not have delay in some of parts of the vocals.

Gere L. The one thing not working for me is the EQ on the vocals. I don't know how to explain, sorry.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt as I am in the learning process. :eek: :eek: :D :D

Back