Mix and master of metal band using Amplitube 3 and cubase Constructive criticism plz

frank_1

mixed and mastered a discussion forum song, please tell me whats wrong with it. I did an earlier version but tried to fix it on the 2nd try.

Mixed & Mastered, reamped with Amplitube 3

BTW, I don't understand something, if any of you guys use Cubase 6.5, I would love to know why when I create a group channel and send guitars to that group channel I cannot get a full stereo field when I pan the guitars or any other instrument. It's always more volume in the Left channel then the Right in the group channel. What gives??? Anyway, please tell me what wrong with this mix if anything. Thanks!

Um, sounds like you may have created a 'mono' Group track. That doesn't even seem to make sense.

You may have something messed up. Maybe a mono effect on a stereo track? I have never heard of this type of issue ever myself.

You might be able to scoop some of the mids from the guitar to give it more crunch (decrease from say 150hz - 800hz). If you're following the guitar on bass, you could neuter the guitar altogether and go for a low pass starting at 300hz, decreasing as much as your ears warrant (I'm guessing around -6db).

I don't hear any bass guitar playing. If there is a bass guitar in there, you may want to choose a patch with some growl to it, add slight distortion, and/or raise the higher frequencies a touch to give it some presence. Bass tends to be a murky sounding instrument unless you put some effort into making it otherwise. Creating a low pass EQ on the guitar might help its presence as well.

Kick could have more punch. I'd bring up 50-80hz, then maybe a small bit notched up around 1khz for a little bit more click.

The vocals sit dead center, sound fine but could use a touch of something to give them presence. I have a few tools in my arsenal for this, so I can't tell you want you should use. Some chorus patches can help expand a stereo field, just need to adjust their gain/level so it's subtle.

I'm assuming what you need to do is record the guitars in mono, pan them and then send them to a stereo bus channel. For your "group" channel.

Ok I'm gonna try to improve the drums a bit, the bass, well I'm having trouble getting that low sub-sonic rhythm sound (Motley Crue - Wild Side sound). Keep in mind the bass track are two, one for the higher distorted DI'd and one that was mic'd with a lower bass response.

The group channel was in MONO!!!! ahhh!!!! thanks for that pointer jimmys69

I still have issues with getting guitar software to sound good. I always have, it's just so much easier for me to EQ mic'd cabs.

Thanks guys I'll keep trying!

Ok I'm gonna try to improve the drums a bit, the bass, well I'm having trouble getting that low sub-sonic rhythm sound (Motley Crue - Wild Side sound). Keep in mind the bass track are two, one for the higher distorted DI'd and one that was mic'd with a lower bass response.

The group channel was in MONO!!!! ahhh!!!! thanks for that pointer jimmys69

I still have issues with getting guitar software to sound good. I always have, it's just so much easier for me to EQ mic'd cabs.

Great to hear you got that sorted!

Post a new mix soon. :)

Amplitube allows you to adjust the mics used and placement in front of the virtual cabinets. Frankly, if you can't get it sounding decent with Amplitube it's something you're doing/not doing. ;)

I think the guitar tone is fine for this. (?)

The guitar tone sounds fine to me, but I agree that there is some phase cancellation/comb filtering going on with the guitars. If you're using multiple mics on your guitar cab, pay close attention when you're placing them to minimize the phase cancellation.

Back