Mix a rock song with blues theme...?

Thanks it was a fun song to mix. You have a lot of mixes posted here with varying approaches. Hope you've found this process helpful.

As for the low end rumble there is a bit in the bass track but hey... that's rock-n-roll :D

Last edited:
Hi.

Have you gone overboard with limmiters....the song is pumping like crazy....?

-einar-

Nope, it`s not pumping it`s rotating as in the guitars and keys were ran through a leslie rotating speaker , I take it if you think it`s pumping then you don`t really like this effect. I`ll repost without that effect .

Nope, it`s not pumping it`s rotating as in the guitars and keys were ran through a leslie rotating speaker , I take it if you think it`s pumping then you don`t really like this effect. I`ll repost without that effect .

Hi.

Anybody else here this pumping, or is it all in my head......?

-einar-

Hi, this is my attempt:View attachment 82695

Hi.

Nice mix. The only thing i would have worked some more with, is; the bass is to loud on some notes and to low on others....mabye some "automations"...? man, whats the word im looking for....?

The voice could also benefitt for some compression....and mabye some small amount of pichshift......

Thanks anyway
-einar-

Here's my mix of this great song.

I tried to make it sound like Trubadour Metal, whatever it mean.

This is my home-mastered version. Actually I prefer the unmastered version where dynamic range is about 9-12 db, but with this version I'm trying to attend to loudness war.

View attachment 82716

Hi.
Thanks. It was i good mix. The voice could blend a bit better...it sounded a bit dry compair to the rest of the music. But.....do i hear some drumparts that are changed....?

-einar-

I'm glad you like it.
Second version. I added little bit verb to vocals to make it blend with music.

About the drumparts: I haven't changed anything in the arrangement. At least I'm not aware of it. And I'm not doing drum replacement either. Just your tracks. Sometimes the overdone mastering can bring up some "noises" that's not audible in normal mix.

Cheers, Olli

Attachments

• 2013-10-08-seeking-everyday-olli-h.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 7
Hi.

Anybody else here this pumping, or is it all in my head......?

-einar-

It`s not in your head, it is the effect the leslie makes from the rotating...kinda like a whoosh whoosh feeling which can feel like pumping also. I guess you`ve never heard a leslie?

Ok, here`s my last attempt at it, took a totally different approach and switched up the drums using my Black Velvet Kit from Addictive Drums.
What you think of this one einar ?

Attachments

• Everyday- Alkie`s Dirty Mix.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 17
I still like mine best. lol!

It is interesting to hear others perspectives tho. :)

Einar, I am open to work with other songs of yours, but I can't work on all for nothing. I have bills and stuff. Hit me up if you want to talk more about what I may possibly be able to help with. I am more than willing to help out with advice and such for free. I do make a bit of money from my studio, but it is the special stuff like this song that motivates me to play around for free. Plus, it is always a learning experience working with others tracks.

I still can't get the these damn lyrics out of my head. The song is really contagious....

Ok, here`s my last attempt at it, took a totally different approach and switched up the drums using my Black Velvet Kit from Addictive Drums.
What you think of this one einar ?

Hi.
I was kind of cool.

Its sure was a more "dirty" approach. It a bit to rought for my taste. It sounds like all the instrumens are fighting for the same space, and the only one to get clear of this fight is the voice....who is not to good, and gets really naked up there....... boy am i good to explain myselve.....:facepalm:

btw: is it a pich/octave u are using on the guitars, heard best in the beginning....?

-einar-

I still like mine best. lol!

It is interesting to hear others perspectives tho. :)

Einar, I am open to work with other songs of yours, but I can't work on all for nothing. I have bills and stuff. Hit me up if you want to talk more about what I may possibly be able to help with. I am more than willing to help out with advice and such for free. I do make a bit of money from my studio, but it is the special stuff like this song that motivates me to play around for free. Plus, it is always a learning experience working with others tracks.

I still can't get the these damn lyrics out of my head. The song is really contagious....

Hi.
Thats interessting.......... could u give us some rates, or PM me....?

-einar-

Hi.
I was kind of cool.

Its sure was a more "dirty" approach. It a bit to rought for my taste. It sounds like all the instrumens are fighting for the same space, and the only one to get clear of this fight is the voice....who is not to good, and gets really naked up there....... boy am i good to explain myselve.....:facepalm:

btw: is it a pich/octave u are using on the guitars, heard best in the beginning....?

-einar-

Well, I guess I just do too much live mixing, I`ve never been a fan of crystal clear mixes, they always feel to me like it`s four or five guys far away from each other rather that on a stage as a band LOL
Yes, that is Waves Ultra Pitch Shift I used on the Main left A and Main right B guitar tracks.

It's a cool tune. Jimmy did nice work with it. Brought out the high hat and the lead guitar more which makes a huge difference. Jimmy, what did you do to the vocals that makes them so much easier to understand? Why do I hear no crash cymbals at all? Great work to both of you!

It's a cool tune. Jimmy did nice work with it. Brought out the high hat and the lead guitar more which makes a huge difference. Jimmy, what did you do to the vocals that makes them so much easier to understand? Why do I hear no crash cymbals at all? Great work to both of you!

Thanks man. :)

On vocal track: Two compressors. 1st with fast attack, 10:1 ratio. Second with slow attack, also 10:1.

Eq boost at 4K. That's it.

I think it has more to do with how the guitars sit, that allows the vocals to cut through.

There are no crash cymbals on the provided drum track. I didn't actually even think about that. Maybe I should add some. :)

Sounded great the over all mix...My only concern was near the end of that tune, that guitar is buried to much in the mix....maybe pan to one side to embellish that take

Thanks man. :)

On vocal track: Two compressors. 1st with fast attack, 10:1 ratio. Second with slow attack, also 10:1.

Eq boost at 4K. That's it.

I think it has more to do with how the guitars sit, that allows the vocals to cut through.

There are no crash cymbals on the provided drum track. I didn't actually even think about that. Maybe I should add some. :)

Ok, screw that. I just played/recorded a live drum track instead. Fun stuff! :)

Here it is. Something got weird tho.....

Recorded the live drums, but something seemed to affect the guitar tone. Maybe I hit one of those buttons that screw stuff up. lol!

Anyway, I needed a track to do a test of 3 overhead mics anyway. That will be posted elsewhere.

OH mics on this mix are Earthworks SR69's that moresound shipped to me. There are also overhead tracks with Earthworks SRO and Samson CO2's for comparison.

My ears are friggen fried from tracking the drums, so I will likely be back tomorrow to fix stuff...

Attachments

• Everyday Live Drums.mp3
    6.4 MB · Views: 23
Back