Miss Nothing Cover - Mix feedback appreciated

Hi Forum

I recently did this recording of a band playing Miss Nothing by The Pretty Reckless. It's a live recording with the whole band playing in the same room.

I'm pretty happy with it in fact, but as always some constructive criticism on the mix and recording is welcome.

Thanks

David

Attachments

• Miss Nothing.mp3
    7.3 MB · Views: 9
Hi - I don't know anything about the original, so no frame of reference for me there.

It sounds nice and live. I like the guitar tone throughout most of it. For me, the low mids kind of built up to create some muddiness/murkiness down there. How was this tracked? I know it's a band live in the same room, but were things all mic'd up separately with some isolation, or...?

As much as I like the guitar tone I wonder if you could make some cuts in the lows/low mids there? I think you could still retain that heavy crunch they have, but maybe reduce the build up of lower frequencies at the same time...if things weren't mic'd individually, then maybe some judicious EQ cuts in the lower regions of the mix as a whole would clear things up a bit. Sounds pretty good though, and I'm no expert, so take this for what it is - just one guy's initial impression.

I like the guitars and the vocals. I'm with the poster above I didn't know the original so I can't compare. I also agree that it seems very muddy/muddled sounding in the lows. I will add though that I'm listening on decent monitors (Yamaha HS8's) but in an untreated room. I did listen at high volume and low though hoping to rule out my crappy room and I heard it in headphones and on the monitors at all volumes.

Vocalist sounds really good, quality voice IMO and a nice listen. Clean up that low end some and I think it's a winner.

Thanks for the comments.

To answer the question, each instrument is mic'd up separately. Not much isolation and in a fairly reverberant village hall. There was a lot of bleed, so the mix options were limited. Still came out ok though I think.

Dave

Back