"Miracles don't exist" - new song

zero00

Hello everyone, it's been a while since i uploaded a song, so here it is... as always, all kind of comments are allowed, good, bad, horrible, etc... don't hold back...

I wanted to make a song about things that happens everywhere like crimes, pollution, hunger, etc... off course i can't put them all in the song cause it would take like a 20 minutes song... so this is what i could say in 4 minutes.

Dist and clean guitars where recorded with a SM-57.
Vocals with a Rode NT-1000.
Drums are Superior 2.0
Bass is Trilogy (virtual instrument).

One thing... i have to re-track vox in the chorus... i wanted to get a catchy one and i couldn't.

Link

Vocals sound a lot like Tom Petty. I like the punchiness of the kick, and the bass sounds great, too.

The guitars sound good to my ears, too (through my KRKs)...

My nits would be that the vocals are swimming in a bit too much verb. The vocals need verb for sure, for this song, but I think there's a bit too much on there.

Also, your cymbals sound much more fake than they should. Work on the hats and cymbals. Snare needs to be a bit brighter, too.

Keep at it, man! Sounds great. Oh... I also really like your stereo stage you've got going on. Very wide, and sounds great!

Wow!

A major leap forward!

Love the recorded sounds and the mix.

And the arrangement is really good...lots of texture changes, dynamics.

Love the floor-tom thud.

More texture. More texture. GOOD!

The opening of the guitar solo is a little weak...but then you musta ate spinach or something. That was a likkedy solo!

Now, what I'd do if it were mine to mess with:

I'd unify the ambiences between the instruments. The outside guits are dry, the vox and solo guitar are wet. Center placements sound extremely rearward. I'd try drying up the center to put it in my face like R&L guits.

I'd put some harmonies on the chorus to put it over top.

At 1:21 the guitars chug into the chorus, and slightly over-run the time. A simple edit there...retarding the guitars just a little to align with the thuds....would be nice. And I'd check the other similar parts to make sure there was unity in time.

At 1:32 I'd use low E in the bass, under the B- chord.

At 1:42 I'd use that same low E, and follow with a D bass and chord at 1:44. Just to strengthen the progression a lot.

I think you could make all those changes using what you have, w/o recording more....if you wanted to try them, and thought they were worth something. Cut, copy, paste, slide work.

Really good work, arrangement and recording. You're zooming!

Hi to all, thanks a lot for the comments, i'll check the cymbals, but i always have problems with them, i don't know what to do to make them sound a little more realistic, because i think that Superior 2.0 has one of the best drum samples in the market (at least until last year IMHO). Maybe you guys have a god's ear, i really can't tell the difference, at least not yet. I need more training.

Jeffmaher, thanks for the comments, i still remember when you compared a song of mine with a cartoon's song hahaha, seems that i'm getting better (hopefully). And yeah, i will try to make those corrections that you mentioned.

Thanks guys...

The rhythms sound very thin - both clean and distorted. A little bottom end fullness would make the mix sound fuller overall. They're also very dry compared to the rest of the mix. WTF was up that 5 note lead break? Get rid of that. It sounded terrible. The end lead is cool. One problem with the cymbals is the they're panned crazy. Cymbal crashes don't naturally land in the far right and left sections of the stereo field. They're also robotic with every crash sounding the same. The cymbals are always the giveaway that the drums are sampled. I like the vocal style, but I can't make out any of the words. I have no idea what you're singing about. :o

Overall, it's a pretty cool song.

The more I listen to your songs, the more I like your accent.

The sudden speed burst at about 3:15 is really cool, but I'm not entirely sure how it blends with the rest of the song.

"too" and "two" aren't really a rhyme. ;)

The vocals sound like they're really close to the listener despite the reverb. They could probably stand to be turned down a little.

Otherwise, most of what everyone else said is spot on.

Hello everyone thanks a lot again for the help and comments...
Greg: about the cymbals, thanks, i'll try to do what you said... hahaha, i liked that 5th note :o ... sorry for my vocals, what can i say? i'm trying man, give me some more time, that's what i need, practice, practice and practice. :spank:

VomitHatSteve: thanks man, you really cheer me up! you know, that thing at 3:15 that you said, i wanted from the beginning, if i take it off, i think the song will be a little boring, don't know... i like it, is fun for playing.

:drunk:

Thanks to all again, i'll make a new mix soon, hopefully...

Oh yeah. I think if you removed the speed burst, it would be to the detriment of the song. Maybe there's some way to get it to blend better and seem more like the next logical direction for the song when it comes up?

New Version uploaded...

Changes:

- less reverb on lead vocals
- edited the break before the 1st chorus.
- re-mixed the guitars (dist and clean), i added more bottom end as Greg said.
- the cymbals pan was 100 LR, now they are 67 LR... i wonder how they feel now, i didn't noticed any difference, so lend me your ears please.

I tried to make the bass changes said by Jeffmaher, but they didn't felt right.

Link

The rhythms, cymbals, and vocals are all much better. The cymbals still sound bad, but they're within the mix better. The clean jangly guitar is still pretty tinny.

i still remember when you compared a song of mine with a cartoon's song hahaha,
That show uses some very fine composers....and produces very good topical music for it. Aside from the applicable topic of that old song, you share the voice of a character in the show. It was a compliment...and a sincere suggestion that you send the file to them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Like Greg said, guitars are a bit too thinny.
It's performed pretty well though, even though it takes some time to get used to the accent. Have you tried singing in your own language?
Not a bad work at all, it sounds pretty tight.

Joey :):)

Better! While listening I keep wanting to tell you to up the vocals because they're pretty cramped between those jangly guitars... I'd just EQ the 2-4K range down a bit for those guitars, and the vocals should pop just fine.

When the guitars go distorted, the vocals pop just fine. Well... Almost. I'd bump some high-siblance EQ on the vocals - just a tad... That'd make em' pop more.

Yeah... This mix is definitely an improvement. Good job.

Hey, thanks for the comments, i will check again the guitars, if i can't get them to sound a little "bigger", i will re-track them, i tried to boost the low frequencies but there was too much "booming", maybe another mic position will do the trick.

Hey Jeffmaher, point taken, i thought you said that because of my voice, is like the chipmunks hahaha (i've been told :( hahaha), but anyway i never took it the wrong way, so thanks again for the comments.

PoeticIntensity, i did what you said, looks like i'll have to adjust it a little more around those frequencies, thanks for the comments.

VomitHatSteve: sorry man, i deleted the last one, even from my hard disk.

Thanks Joeym, maybe same day i'll show you a song in other language (a day far far away hahaha), i like songs in english. Thanks for the comments.

Cheers

Back