Minimum specs for budget computer

DanR

I will shortly be in the market for a new computer for my basement recording 'studio'. I have been using a Boss BR-8 for a number of years and I feel that it's time to upgrade. I have been going back and forth between wanting a computer based DAW and a stand alone unit. After downloading Reaper and messing around with it (on my current computer), I feel comfortable going the computer route.

I plan on using the M Audio Delta 44 for the interface. I already have a 2 channel preamp (M Audio DMP-3) and I'll be content starting out with Reaper, but I need a computer. Most importantly, I'm on a budget. I will either build my own computer or possibly have one built. Mwave.com looks like a good place to have one built, as they charge $80 for assembly and testing, which seems reasonable to me.

As far as actual usage, I will be recording mainly live instruments, a track or two at a time. I will be using no virtual instruments or soft synths. I would be using roughly 16 to 20 tracks with the applicable effect plug ins.

So, after all this rambling, my main question is: would a low end Intel Duo Core processor (like an E4500), a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Intel p35 chipset , with 2GB of RAM be adequate for my needs? I could get a computer build by Mwave.com for about $650 with the previously mentioned specs.

Or, does anyone have any other suggestions for the low budget computer range?

An Intel CoreDuo and 2GB of RAM will be way more than adequate for recording around 1-2 tracks at a time.

2GB RAM is kind of overkill if you're not using any software synths or samplers. But it's better to have too much than not enough...

Reaper itself doesn't use many resources at all. So you will have plenty there for adding real-time effects like reverb, compressor, EQ, etc.

Yeah with a desktop you won't have to worry as much. And for two track recording, especially if you go dry, you REALLY don't have to worry as much. But if you just want things to look out for check for a nice FSB and at least 7400rpm disk speed.

I can still kick ass with my 1.2GHz PIII!!!
Hard drive speed is probably the biggest limiting factor when it comes to track-count. A quality 7200rpm disk with an 8MB buffer can deal with mucho 24bit tracks no problem. RAM comes into play as well, but as was already mentioned, that seems to apply more to samplers and other RAM-based things. The limiting factor on effect plugins is the processor speed, but the average computer with its 2+GHz speeds is way more than enough for the average thing. Like I said, I'm using an aging PIII, and it's still able to handle my projects no problem.
For sound card, I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 and it's never let me down. It's been my #1 baby for over 5-6 years now. I gave the breakout I/O box a good cleaning recently and it's still good as new. It sounds great and the drivers are superb.

The limiting factor on effect plugins is the processor speed, but the average computer with its 2+GHz speeds is way more than enough for the average thing.

This is really is not true. The clock speed of a chip is not an indicator of is processing power. I had a 3.4ghz machine which I replaced with a 2.4 ghz C2D and the newer machine despite being slower, allowed almost 4 times as many plugins to be run on a given buffer before it would start to click. The important thing is to get the beefiest chip you can for what your budget allows. I would stay away from the bottom of the chip line and the E4500 is at the very bottom..

I will shortly be in the market for a new computer for my basement recording 'studio'. I have been using a Boss BR-8 for a number of years and I feel that it's time to upgrade. I have been going back and forth between wanting a computer based DAW and a stand alone unit. After downloading Reaper and messing around with it (on my current computer), I feel comfortable going the computer route.

I plan on using the M Audio Delta 44 for the interface. I already have a 2 channel preamp (M Audio DMP-3) and I'll be content starting out with Reaper, but I need a computer. Most importantly, I'm on a budget. I will either build my own computer or possibly have one built. Mwave.com looks like a good place to have one built, as they charge $80 for assembly and testing, which seems reasonable to me.

As far as actual usage, I will be recording mainly live instruments, a track or two at a time. I will be using no virtual instruments or soft synths. I would be using roughly 16 to 20 tracks with the applicable effect plug ins.

So, after all this rambling, my main question is: would a low end Intel Duo Core processor (like an E4500), a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Intel p35 chipset , with 2GB of RAM be adequate for my needs? I could get a computer build by Mwave.com for about $650 with the previously mentioned specs.

Or, does anyone have any other suggestions for the low budget computer range?

The success of this build will largely depend on whether the mainboard likes the Delta44 and its drivers or not.

RAM, CPU etc should be fine :)

Just don't skimp on the PSU etc.

This is really is not true. The clock speed of a chip is not an indicator of is processing power. I had a 3.4ghz machine which I replaced with a 2.4 ghz C2D and the newer machine despite being slower, allowed almost 4 times as many plugins to be run on a given buffer before it would start to click. The important thing is to get the beefiest chip you can for what your budget allows. I would stay away from the bottom of the chip line and the E4500 is at the very bottom..
to be sure, are you comparing a 3.4 ghz single core to a dual core @ 2.4 ghz? clock for clock, the c2d is generally doing more work, so not really a fair comparison. i dig what you are saying, though.

to the OP, as others have stated, the machine you mention should be plenty for perhaps *most* home studios, particularly "budget" ones. besides, you can always freeze tracks.

a

to be sure, are you comparing a 3.4 ghz single core to a dual core @ 2.4 ghz? clock for clock, the c2d is generally doing more work, so not really a fair comparison. i dig what you are saying, though.

to the OP, as others have stated, the machine you mention should be plenty for perhaps *most* home studios, particularly "budget" ones. besides, you can always freeze tracks.

a

No, it was a D950

No, it was a D950

ok, gotcha. mentioning this in your earlier post would have bolstered your point even further, of which i agree with completely.

so to revise my earlier statement: "clock for clock conroe beats the crap out of presler."

faster FSB, shared 4MB "smart" cache (instead of 2x2MB of presumably dumb cache, lol)..... and it runs cooler, too. not to mention the sick overclocks some folks have gotten.

so, there are a multitude of other factors besides raw processor speed that influence how fast a given process is completed.

E4500 c2d (allendale) sports only 2MB shared cache and 800mhz FSB. still, it should overclock very well, if one chose to do so. i know some folks just arent feeling the overclock thing, but a mild and 100% stable OC is the cheapest and best "upgrade" i can think of. then again, the "pre-made" computer mentioned in the first post may have any overclocking items disabled in the BIOS, as is typical.

a

I am using REAPER with a Pentium 3 / 600mhz / 256 RAM ... can record 2 tracks at a time. I have MIDI playback during recording, some tracks from the Soundblaster and some using VSC.
However, I can forget real-time FX, amp sims. Laaaaaaaaatency galore. But, everything is fine on playback for FX after recording a guitar track direct.
Keeping it simple with 1999 PC.

I have a new Dual Core Sony laptop which I am waiting to get an Audio Interface, as the only input is a Mono Mic input.

Another consideration is a Off Lease P4 3 Ghz with 2 GB RAM selling for under $300 ... some with XP Pro. Without monitor, but they are cheap, and some even free, as peopel are giving away their old tube monitors.

Back