Minimum Sizes For Vocal Booth

Bloodbought

I also have 10x10 room and want to build a "room in room" booth. What is the minimum size I can go with? Is 6'x4' big enough? I want to construct it with double drywall and offset studs.. Thanks

When you say room in room, that implies that you are planning on floating a floor, with the room built on the floating floor. Is this your plan? Staggered stud walls will help, but if they are connected to the existing floor and ceiling, it would seem structural transmission via the existing floor and ceiling, could possibly negate the staggered wall scenario. I'm no expert, and I'm sure for a home vocal booth this may be ok, but I tend to think towards a more substantial solution. It depends on your situation though. City noise floors, such as freeway traffic, trains, helicopters, motorcycles and gunfire :eek: etc, can be difficult to isolate. Your tolerance level for unwanted sound intrusion is really what determines the construction, and only you know what your environmental noise floor, and simultaneous sound levels from adjacent rooms will be. Everybody has a different set of criteria and tolerance levels.
That is really the bottom line for the type of assemblies required. Although budget usually has the last say. :rolleyes:
Lets put it into prospective.I don't like to be accused of spreading "netfact" but I was personally told(via the net)by an acoustical "authority", about an experimental CONCRETE shell, and inner CONCRETE floating room, where a 9 mm pistol was fired within the floating room, and people positioned around the shell heard NOTHING. When a small wooden wedge was inserted between the airgap, so it touched both the outer and inner envelope, a small portable radio was placed within the inner room(with everything sealed), and could clearly be heard around the perimeter of the outer shell. Structural transsmission is not fiction.

fitZ :)

My mistake. I am just wanting to square off a corner of my room with a wooden frame and double plywood from floor to ceiling and then insulate the interior with soundproofing material. I was wanting to know if a 6'x4' room was sufficient. Thank You.

Hello, sorry if I took your post a different direction, but most newcomers to studio and sound isolation, do not understand the principles involved. As to your size, prop up a couple of sheets of plywood so it encloses the size space you are talking about and step into the space. If it feels ok, then have to it. To my way of thinking, 6 feet is really the minimal dimension, as 4 feet is almost claustraphobic. Not to mention sound reflections, as even standing in the center, with a mic in front of the singer, it will be less than 2 feet from a wall, although you can treat the space, but that takes up precious inchs in such a small space. I would suggest at least 5'x 6' minimum, but don't make it square. As to the "soundproofing" material, there is NO such thing. Only materials and construction techniques which will attenuate sound transmission better than others. The word "soundproof" is a misnomer, as even concrete will transmit sound, even better and faster than air, if it is not decoupled from the source. Your best bet is mass. Two or three layers of sheetrock, with different thickness, but there is more to it than that. Hence the link to John Sayers site, as repeating all that is there, here, doesn't make sense, but good luck and have fun.

fitZ :)

Back