minimoog V and midi controller

gitrokr

ive got the minimoog v and been playing on it with just my computer for a while now. i like the sounds and want to expand to a midi controller setup. what controllers could you recommend to me that would work well with the minimoog program? will i be able to use switches on the controllers that will activate the knobs in the program or will i still have to turn the knobs on the program in the computer? thanks so much

This is what I use, and despite it looking like it only has 8 knobs on the front panel, there are five banks of those eight for a total of 40 knobs. And yes, you can assign them to the front panel controls of your virtual mini.

Or, for $10 more, this has 24 more keys and the same kind of knob assignment scheme.

The Alesis, in addition to being twice the price of the MAudio, is not out yet. The Zzounds page linked says '8/31/05 --- preorder now'.

It's nowhere near as painful and cumbersome as it sounds to change banks on a controller. It's actually quite easy and becomes part of the process after just a few hours.

Most soft synths have a 'midi learn' feature in which you go into the midi learn mode, click on the parameter you want to control, then move the midi fader or knob or switch that you want to assign to it.

Last edited:
hey ssscientist

i got my m audio in the mail today. i insstalled the drivers, but how do i get the moog voyager to read the m audio?

thanks

i see that in the moog i have to switch to asio drivers. im getting a message saying my device isnt configured properly though and ive installed/uninstalled the software a bunch of times. any tips?

There should be a facility in stand-alone mode to select a midi input. Look around in the Minimoog V menus and you should be able to locate it. And yes, switch to ASIO drivers if you have the option to do so...

ok i finally got it working. i read the manual and went through assigning faders and knobs but am still confused and dont see how i assign say the tune knob on the left to say knob number 9. how do i know what number the tune knob is? any tips would help. thanks

That's the beauty of 'midi learn' mode --- you don't have to know anything about what continuous controller number your Radium is transmitting or what parameter number the Minimoog expects. Just pick a parameter in midi learn (or maybe they call it 'controller asign' mode), click on it with your mouse and move the controller thru it's full range, say from 0 to 127.

Are you using the Minimoog program in stand-alone mode or as a VST instrument in a host sequencing program? Either way, you should be using ASIO drivers to avoid latency.

If you are using it with a host (like Cubase or Tracktion) the host drivers are the ones you should be concerned with.

ah. what host program are you using. i use cubase sx for recording. im just going to be using the midi controller as a keyboard for live us through the minimoog. and yes theyre on the asio drivers but it stills seems theres a delay between me pressing the keys and hearing it coming out of my speakers. rigght now i just have my amp coming out the soundcard of my laptop, is that cool how im doing it. sorry for being so ignorant on this subject and thanks again

No prob. That's why I'm here - to fill in the gaps.

You'll probably have a much better time and much lower latency with something like this than with your stock laptop setup.

If you have a little more $ to spend now you could go for one of these because you'll eventually want to record audio on Cubase. This is the one I use with my laptop, but this one and this one are recommended too.

Hmmmmm. Even so, investing in the midi-only interface would improve your latency. Latency is the delay from when you press the key until when the sound comes out, and from what you have posted that's your only remaining problem.

And even if you don't want to record 'the midi' now you will someday soon.

awesome.

i was thinking, and i want to be able to hear my synth whatever coming out of an amp. i would want a midi box that has speaker outs right? anythinkg else you can tell me on programming the buttons and dials would be great as well.

Probably. No, make that 'definitely'. A small mixer like this probably wouldn't be money wasted either. You could plug the midi/audio interface into the board, then the board into the PA for the audience and also into an amp for you and the rest of the band to have onstage monitoring.

If I sound like I'm kinda slugging in the dark on this one, I am. I've been on homerecording.com for more than a year now and you're the first person who WANTS to bring their computer onstage not to sequence anything but to use a soft synth. Most shy away from the very thought of bringing a computer to a gig and I think it's mighty brave of you to want to do it...

There are a whole bunch of free soft synths here, not to replace your minimoog but to add to it. Do a search on your platform and the word 'free'. Some are good, some great, some mediocre but they're all free.

If you're asking how it's best to map the controllers on the Radium, I'd start by putting the filter cutoff and the filter emphasis (resonance) on faders 1 and 2, then the attack, decay and sustain for the filter on 3, 4 and 5 and the loudness contour modifiers - attack, decay and sustain - on 6, 7 and 8. Use the main data entry to control the master volume. Then set the top row of knobs the three oscilator levels and the noise level with the bottom row set for arpeggiator on/off and speed and LFO rate and waveform.

This is just a suggestion and YMMV (your mileage may vary), but that's what I would use as a starting point. And don't be afraid of 'ruining' a patch (sound) by twisting those knobs and tweaking those faders. The original Minimoog had no memories at all - the manual included patch sheets to be copied and when you got a sound you liked you had to write it on the patch sheets with a pen or pencil.

hey ssscientist. i was only able to get 7 out of the 16 sliders and faders programmed. i did it the way you showed me but some of hte parameter numbers didnt work for me when i referred to the manual. could you give me the parameter numbers that your matching up with the slider numbers. i tried to wait a few days to post to see if i would get it on my own, but its just not clicking. sorry for the nuasance and thanks again for your help.

Back