Minimizing Pick Click!

scottboyher

I am getting a lot of the pick sound on my acoustic recordings.. I am mic'ing at the twelfth fret and aimed back at the sound hole.

What is the best place to mic for a semi-bright, in the background, rhythm guitar sound without a lot of pick click...

scottboyher said:
I am getting a lot of the pick sound on my acoustic recordings.. I am mic'ing at the twelfth fret and aimed back at the sound hole.

What is the best place to mic for a semi-bright, in the background, rhythm guitar sound without a lot of pick click...

1. don't point it (the mic) at your picking hand. try pointing it straight at the fretboar, or even toward your fretting hand.

2. experiment with different picks. some are noisier than others. the 1mm Big Stubbys are good (slick edges), as are the Wedgies (rubbery).

3. if you have a multipattern mic, try different patterns. hypercardioid may block out some of the pick sound (more focused). Omni may make it less evident (more whole guitar sound).

Point your mic about 3-4 inches behind the bridge.

Another tek Harvey described way back when is putting the mic about ear-high with the capsule facing the floor. Now put some headphones on and dial in the sound. An LDC pointed a few inches behind the bridge and a couple inches in front of the top sounds pretty good. Also, as a player it's really the way you are used to hearing when you play un-amplified. :)

I second the stubby's...seems weird that such a heavy and hard pick would work but it must have something to do with the shape and as mentioned, it's quite smooth. I actually prefer the "Big Stubby".

Excellent tips guys, thanks!

I am used to using a very thin pick with my acoustic. It sounds like it is time to change...

listen carefully to the sound of each pick
as well as thickness, picks made of different materials will sound differently
and don't forget that sometimes a thin pick will do what you want
like a rythem track when you want the texture, and not the sound of a guitar

oh, technique is a part of it to, how your pick is attacking the strings and what-not

scottboyher said:
Excellent tips guys, thanks!

I am used to using a very thin pick with my acoustic. It sounds like it is time to change...

Thin picks will tend to flex and the snap back, causing a lot of click. The thicker pick will dampen the snap more.

Inspired by Billy Gibbons (he uses a mexican peso), I tried to use a quarter one time. Really bright, metalic sound...no pick click.... :)

Ever tried those little flip tops on the tops of soda cans? After you open the can, wiggle it up and down until it come off. I used them a couple time to get a real bright shimmery sound.

Back