Minidisk Drive for PC

Boots

Does anybody know of a Minidisk Drive that can be internally installed into a PC? Basically like a internal CD-ROM Drive but be a MiniDisk Drive.

Thanks.

I like minidisks because they are self contained (protected). Plus they're small.

I think it would be a great thing to be able to record/save on via PC.

Sony..MDM-111 or the MDH-10, are what your looking for, they came out in the mid 90's, but things like ZIP made them obsolete in a hurry. Search for a used one on Ebay or something, I don't know if they are available new.

Peace,
Dennis

Thanks for the info! I can image the fact that Sony kept such a tight grip on the Minidisk played a big part of making them obsolete. They should have let other company's make the players/recorders sooner.

Oh well. Will keep an eye out at e-bay and local computer shows.

Thanks.

Scott

I have a stereo mini disk component- the one refered to in the previous post and it is great. Back in '95 I had a Sony 4 track mini disk and I would archive the mixes to the two track mini disk unit. I have two Sony 4 trackers now and sometimes sync them for 8 tracks or link the two to my Korg d1600 for 24 tracks. If you are going to get a used one, make sure it has the optical (digital) in/outs as well as the rca in/outs. This is very important. For instance, I have a Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card in my computer which has optical in/out. Anything that I wish to dump from the computer to mini disk (and vice versa) comes out clean as a whistle through these digital lines. The rca lines in/out are no comarison! The sound card also has a mini disk program built into the software with it's own recording panel and play list- very nice. Also, most semi pro (and even consumer) gear supports optical in/outs now and that is why it's important to get a Sony with these connections. I believe Sony makes a rack mount and a stereo component still. Look at music stores on line- such as musiciansfriend.com, Sam Ash, etc. I have upgraded to HD recording in the form of the Korg d1600 and burn CD's. I have moved away from mini disk because the sonic quality is much, much better with HD recording. But I won't give up my mini disk recorders! Incidentally, I just got done working the winter olympics and mini disks played a major role in production. You can't beat them for specific applications in production. Good luck to you!

Back