minidisc vs. track recorder

applesmasher

Who wins for best value? A minidisc recorder or a 4 track type recorder? The Criteria:
-Cheap, $100-$300 range.
-Only used for recording vocals
-portable
-able to transfer to computer
-to be used with art tube and dmp3 pre amp
What would you reccomend and dont even say a dictaphone or cassete tape player! >.<

so when you say "only recording vocals" i ussume you mean one track, only vocals. definately mini-disc. i love mine. the ease of transfering to computer is the main issue. on my sony (and i believe on all) you have to go from the stereo analog out into a board or computer sound card. i get killer sound from mine though.

If your only recording vocals I would avoid a miniDisc recorder. The MiniDisc recorders use a nasty file compression called ATRAC Adaptive Transform Acoustic coding? I think thats what it stands for but anyways with that sort of compression (Not the good kind of compression this compression actually discards data rather then orginizing the data more efficiantly) actually stores less then 1/5 of the actual recorded audio. The best use for MiniDisc recorders in my opinion is for feild recording of sound effects but some people love them for everything. Sorry I am not up to date on the portable analog recorders so I can't give you any suggestions but just thought I would give you the low down on MiniDisc.

But MiniDisc is going to be very easy to transfer to a computer.

Last edited:
I agree that the file compression gets pretty nasty on the LP2 and LP4 settings, but I haven't had any problems at all if I record in simple stereo mode.

If you care less about sound quality then go with data-compressed recorders -- if you care more about sound quality then go for a recorder that doesn't use data compression.

But at the low-end of the scale (which is the budget you described), sound quality is not high on the list of features of any of the recorders anyways. (Very cheap converters, so even if the recording format is compressed, what's going in them is not great to begin with!)

By recording vocals do you mean a chorus or just 1 vocal track? If you plan on just doing one track, then go with mini disk. But you run in to dada compression on them, so you won't get the best quality. Like i said, if you just want to record one vocal track, i say go with the mini disk.

ZEKE SAYER said:
By recording vocals do you mean a chorus or just 1 vocal track? If you plan on just doing one track, then go with mini disk. But you run in to dada compression on them, so you won't get the best quality. Like i said, if you just want to record one vocal track, i say go with the mini disk.
What difference does that make - whether he only wants to record 1 track or many??? Data compression is data compression and it affects the sound...!

Ahh, the Bear is very right.

I am reminded by the great sage of yore who once said, "Person who scratch butt should never bite fingernails."

If you want good sound, quality sound, you should record on a quality sound vehicle or SIAB. I like the MD8 minidisc but it falls way short of my Yam 2816.

Green Hornet

when you transfer to computer with a mini disc do you have to have a good soundcard or can i jsut use the included one? As far as does it affect the quality?

With most portable MD you need to transfer analog to the PC. So you would need a pretty good soundcard. Take a look at the MR8 from fostex. Uncompressed audio, can record 2 tracks at the same time and tranfer your takes with USB. This assuming you don't need hours of recording time as a flash card will not hold that much (so that single take of the ring will be a no-go).

o i guess i have to get a soundcard now too. this hobby is getting expensive! The uncompressed audio sounds like a really good idea for obvious reasons. Ill have to cheack the price on that tho. thanks for advice! more opinions! bring it!

Okay, how about some reccomendations on minidiscs. What are some different recorders that suite my application that i can pick up cheaply? Fostex mr8 so far, im guessing thats towards the high end of my budget at $300. $100 or $200 would be better:)

ahh, bear,

I'm reading your post, just because i know it's about me........

The resion i was asking him about the single vocal track or a couple of vocal tracks is because i recall that Freeform said

"so when you say "only recording vocals" i ussume you mean one track, only vocals. definately mini-disc."

I was only following up what he said, because the poster of this thread did not give any info on single tracks or multi-tracks.

Yah that was me. Its only for single track vocals, no gospel choirs or anything:) BUt i cant decide on minidics yet, cause there are so many to choose. Some are hand held dictaphone types and I cant tell if they would work. Then theres the big ones that look like the mixers.

did you say that the single tracks will be just talking? If your going to just be talking, i'd go with just the portible MD recorder.

Good Luck

Zeke

Apple, can you do me a favor and describe what you think Multi-Track recording is?

I think maybe this word no mean what you thin it mean.

applesmasher said:
..............this hobby is getting expensive!

Repent now my brutha' lest ye will develop the sinful disease
known forever as "G.A.S"; Gear Acquisition Syndrome! You will FORGO paying the bills, taking your loved one(s) out on a date, buying birthday & holiday gifts for fam & friends and even spending money on groceries(you will exist strictly on a diet of Rahman Noodles & peanut butter)! Your will no longer care about updating your wardrobe as every and any penny you have will be
spent to feed your addiction!
In the end, you'll be broke and penniless with your friends noticing your extreme loss of weight and ragged appearance as you wear the same jeans and t-shirt everyday. You will badly be in need of a haircut and shave and an occasional bath!
You will be a full-fledged GEAR-JUNKY with no hope to get the monkey off your back!

................but at least you'll have 1 phat-@ss studio with the latest in recording equipment!:p ;) :p

No! NO! dont suck me down into your addictive gear buying world! Bad Influence! YOu! Haha who am i kidding im probally doomed to start collecting all this cool looking stuff too. I already have one thing that I dont now waht is used for. hehe.

You want my description of multitrack recording? You sure bout that? Cause best recording ive done so far is on that little plastic mic on that comes on the computer. All I know is that multi track is for the multiple lines to the different mics that record. Im only (trying) to record 1 track vocals right now though. And hopefully singing not talking.

No sarcasm behind my question.

Your understanding of what that means is crucial to whether you will be able to do what you want to do. I get the impression that we all are assuming you know what it means, and that you are actually wanting to do multitrack.

See a "track" is each voice or instrument you want to hear in a recording. The CD's you listen to are 2 tracks, a left and a right.
If you have a CD that you want to add vocals on top of you will need a way to do multitrack recording, unless you just want to sing on top of a CD(yuck) and re-record it right then as you do it.

A better way would be to import the CD "tracks" into an Audio program on your computer, such as Sonar, Cubase & others, then hook up a mic to a preamp to a soundcard, and record your new vocals into the computer where you can then mix them, add effects, mixdown, and burn a CD of your own, all in the computer.

You don't need a MD or other stand-alone unit for what you are trying to do.

Also with the setup I described you can do more than "1 track vocals", you can layer harmonies, add instruments, sampled beats, whatever you want to try.

If I have misread or misunderstood your level of understanding I apologise, I'm trying to read between the lines of your questions!

Back