Mini/micro recorders

El Barto

I'm looking for a cheap, simple, yet good quality recorder that I can take around with me to record things. No, not bootlegging shows or anything...I'm looking to record different sound samples and stuff, as well as riffs and rough demos of songs I come up with without having to deal with my 8 track recorder. I'm not sure what to get, and I don't really want to spend a lot. But good sound quality is important, as I plan on hooking it in to my 8 track to put samples I record into songs (I'm in a Pet Sounds/SMiLE-era experimental phase right now..heh). Any ideas?

MD maybe?

I'd say go for a portable Minidisc recorder. If you buy a decent mic as well you can get great sound samples + it's very easy to use.
And it's also relatively cheap as long as you don't go for the latest model....

Any tips on what I should look for in a MD recorder? I figured that would be my best route...now there's so many different ones I don't know what to get!

I second the motion

I have a Sony Mzr37 and it's fine, nice sound, small little controls, very portable, rechargeable batteries come with. All you need is a good mic, I'd go with the Bear's recommendation on that too. MD's use a lossy compression, but damned if I can hear it.

Back