Mini-kits any good? (mapex?)

Paco

pH meter
Hi all,
I'm looking to switch from a drum machine to REAL drums.
I was looking at those mini-kits and they look great to me - I haven't heard the kick, but the toms sounded cool - real tight (I'm looking for a tight jazz fusion type kit). Has anybody recorded or played with these mini-kits? Are they any good

Any suggestions for a beginner player/home recording artist? (I want to spend under $800 for everything - hardware, etc. - if possible, but the cheaper the kit, the more I can spend on mics)

Thanks!

Mini Kits

I played 2gigs on the original Yamaha Hip Gig kit (the yellow kit that packed up into itself) I own a set of the Mapex Voyager and have played about 10-12 gigs with it (mostly small lounge jazz gigs).

I did not really like the sound of the Hip Gig (although I was using the heads that came new with the kit). I have had people, including drummers comment on the good sound I get from the Voyager and I heard a live recording (drums close mic'd through the board into a mini disk) and they sound decent - however, I was using Evans G2 heads on the toms and an EQ3 on the kick - I was also useing a better snare than the 12" stell that comes with the kit. And as important, having played for a very long time, I know how to get a good sound out of my drums.

At $400 I think the Voyager sounds as good if not better than the Hip Gig, which at the time sold for about $1600.

I would not choose to take the Voyagers into a studio - since I have much better recording drums (Premium Birch, Mapex Maple and V-Drums) but maybe they may be right for you.

I think the toms (8', 10' & 12") can be more manageable in a studio than larger toms - however it is hard to get a very big sound out of the 18" kick.

Actually an 18" kick is the best to use for a big sound, tight and not boomy. Ive even seen the accent jr by Ludwig being used for jazz and sounding great. The trick is to mount the Kick mic next to the beater inside to get the attack, then It will decay faster.

Mapex Kit

I have been using one of the voyager kits (8/10/12 toms 12 snare and 18 kik) for about a year and really love it. I have recorded several album cuts and 8 jazz demos and have gotten great comments on the sounds. If i had agood way to post a sample for you i would. I have tuned them to the lower side of their range and occasionally will add a 13" tom to make it a six pc.
I am in the market to buy another just like it or perhaps the next size up (10/12/14 toms) to use as my gig kit and chunk my bulky standard kit.
The drums have a very musical focused sound that mics very well.
By the way , I paid around $450 at Mars Music and had enough left over to buy some great sounding Zildjian 13" mastersound hats that really do jazz / dance right.

I play primarily Celtic fusion jazz.

tmix

i saw one being used by a rock cover band (shudder) and this guy hit realllllly hard... this made the kit sound a lot like a full size one... i was talking to their engineer and questioned him about how he got that awesome sound out of the 18" bass drum, well he had it triggered..... but i think for jazz fusion type stuff the b.d. sound should be close to what your after.

Back