mini disk multi track?

dmiller91

a friend was telling me you can do multi track recording to minidisk now? Is this true, where do I find it? He said Sony had something, but I couldn't find anything.

Diane

It's been true for around the last ten years but I don't know if anyone still makes a multi-track mini-disc recorder any longer. Sony made a few models as did Fostex I think.

You can find a lot of them used on E-bay.

mini disk

So, currently I have a Realistic (yes, it's true) and I'm using Cakewalk to pump into my computer. I'd like an economical multi-track, 4 track is fine recorder to use as stand alone, but also send results to computer.

Is ADAT the way to go?

I do digital live recording with a Sony DAT too. Currently I put that to my computer to burn cd's.

Diane

ADAT is the way to go for several members here, but it's not my way. It is a good recording format for the most part. I have heard of mechanical problems with some units, but there are just as many or more that have been running for years without a problem.

I'd be afraid of loosing my data while recording or mixing.

I use analog tape.

analog tape

What kind of gear do you have? Do you have that really wide tape I've seen in recording studios?

Diane

What do you recommend for reading up on formats?

We just sold a Yamaha MD8 - 8 track minidisc- were usin a computer now- alot easier to work with and alot more tracks too- alot of people complain- and probably rightly so- about the compression algorythms used by minidisc- if your lookin for a minidisc unit- nice cause theyre portable- try e-bay

recorders

I use a computer too. I like the portability idea. Pardon my ignorance, but can you use it just as a mixer, you don't HAVE to record, right?

diane

Re: analog tape

dmiller91 said:
What kind of gear do you have? Do you have that really wide tape I've seen in recording studios?

Diane

What do you recommend for reading up on formats?

I use 1/2" tape for recording and 1/4" half-track for mix-down running at 15 IPS. Both machines and the console is TASCAM equipment that is no longer made, but still supported. This gear was considered top of the line for home studios and small production facilities in its day back in the mid-'80's. Many of us still use it today. I used to lust after these machines back then, but were so far out of my price range it was unimaginable.

The stuff you see in pro studios is usually 2" tape runing at 30 IPS and sometimes you will find 1" machines running at 15 or 30 IPS. Some of these machines are tens of thousands of dollars.
Tape is very exspensive at sometimes $250 a reel and lasts roughly 14 minutes for recording time. Maybe three songs worth with space between songs.

A good book to familiarize yourself with various recording formats is "Modern Recording Techniques" by Huber und Runstein. Some of the info is a bit dated, but most is still relevant today.

Yo Miller of "Genuine Draft:"

Why do you want a mini-disc when it appears what you have is better sonically?

I have a jewel of an MD8 but it is just an ornament in my studio now that I'm using the Yam 2816.

But, to tell you the truth, I did some nice stuff on the MD8 and even some nice stuff on the old Tascam 488.

Will never go back to those except for some special project.

Green Hornet :D :D :p

hey you back

Scary, I use the Genuine Draft moniker. Do I know you? I'm from MI originally :-)

Anyway, I have my computer set up, and I use a mic into a realistic analog 4 track mixer, then plug that into my computer. I feel like I should be able to bypass the mixer, or upgrade it. Recording on computer works since I upgraded my processor, but, it sure does fill up the old hard drive.

Maybe I should add another drive and keep what I have. It isn't portable though. And, I want to dump the 4 track Realistic thingy.

?

I use Cakewalk. Sometimes it sounds too crisp. But maybe that's just me.

Diane

the md8 could be used as a mixer but it only had to mic level inputs- not alot for a relatively big piece. sound quality is not quite as great as the computer- with the money you would spend on a minidisc- you could get a new mixer and hard drive and still have some leftover- shop around, but if you dont NEED portable stick to the computer

-jeff

the md8 could be used as a mixer but it only had to mic level inputs- not alot for a relatively big piece. sound quality is not quite as great as the computer- with the money you would spend on a minidisc- you could get a new mixer and hard drive and still have some leftover- shop around, but if you dont NEED portable stick to the computer

-jeff

mixer

so what am I looking for in a mixer.... just multiple inputs? I'm confused how I would use that to multi-track to cakewalk. I'm recording one track at a time right now. I bought a Motu board a few years back and couldn't figure it out.

Do I want digital, or doesn't it matter?

You can tell I'm not the gear head I wish I was! :-)

Diane

If Im understanding correctly, what you are trying to accomplish is recording multiple sources simultaneously- so heres a scenario- you have, for instance, 4 mics, they are connected to individual channels on a mixer, such as a Mackie, Behringer, Soundcraft- whatever- The mixer needs to have one or both of the following- "channel inserts" or "sub groups"- heres what they do- the "channel inserts" are on each channel with a mic pre (xlr connection) and is basicly an output for that channel only- the subgroups are assignable and there are typically 4 or 8 of them- you can assign multiple mics to one output if that so meets your needs or one mic to each of the sub-outs- (note that sub groups are in addition to main outs so you could theoretically have 6 or 10 out puts- 4(8) subs and a left and a right). From the sub group or channel insert outputs a cable connects to a multi track sound card, such as the M-Audio Delta 44 or 1010- then in your software pick what input from the soundcard will go to each track- and record- thats is one of many possible scenarios and of course we all gotta work with what we got. that also doesnt include any other processors or effects that may be in the signal chain-

- I hope that is helpfull-

-jeff

Back