Mini Disc live??

Matt303

The band I'm in have been practicing to a set of drum tracks on DAT. For live use I intended to copy them to a Tascam mini disc player. However I'm now a bit concerned, I was in a music shop and the PA bloke said that mini discs sound 'crap' through a PA and I should use a different media, something about the comression affecting the sound. Has anyone out there got experience of this?
The mini disc recordings sound good to me and they are recorded with minimum compression. I can't hear any obvious degradation and I'm uneasy about using a CD or DAT in a live setting.

The minidisc will sound great , no problem!
There is some degradation, but it`s a live recording, nobody will notice...

Amund

I've used them live in all kinds of conditions since '97. The media is totally reliable. I have gone through several Sony player/recorders however.

Matt303 said:
The mini disc recordings sound good to me and they are recorded with minimum compression. I can't hear any obvious degradation and I'm uneasy about using a CD or DAT in a live setting.

The compression that the PA bloke was referring to is data compression not dynamic compression. Minidisc uses a data compression scheme to save space. Similar to MP3 but better.

The dat will sound better but the mini-disc should be good enough. Just make sure you compare the kick and cymbal sounds on the different formats. That is where you may hear the biggest differences.

The sales dude usually gets more commish for selling the more expensive stuff. He is not your friend, he is the enemy never trust the advice of someone who is selling you something.

Remember, when mixing to a minidisk, roll your eq off below 60hz and above 15khz, cause just like an mp3, they can't hear it anyway and it leaves much more room in the middle for all the good stuff.

Back