MINI DISC LEVEL QUESTIONS!

gener1c

When I am sending a signal to my mini-disc recorder, the level on recorder says the signal is maxed out-but the sound is not loud at all. Is this normal? I want it to be as loud as a CD played in a Discman.

Any help would be appreciated.

THx,

gen

Gonna need some more info:

What kind of signal source is it (ie can you turn it up more?)

What kind of minidisc recorder? The Sony MDS series units have a recording level, whereas most portable minidisc don't - they just accept line level.

I record using a MZ-R55 (little portable Sony unit), and seem to have the same problem - the level appears to be maxing out, but the signal is still pretty quiet.

Now that I think about it, it's possible that the volume controls double as the recording levels. Something I should try.....

- gaffa

Gaffa,

Its the Sony MDS package that came with a home recorder and a portable player for like 179.00USD.

I am sending it a signal from Logic Audio, through the mixer (Alesis Studio24) to the deck. I can see that the signal is occasionally hitting the max mark but like we both have asserted, the playback on non-amplifies basic stereo systems (i.e. Computer Speakers, tape adapter for Car tapedeck listening), is still quiet.

Do DATS have this problem? I don't want to mix to CD-R because that gets expensive and its a waste of CD-R's to put just a few songs on them just to test. Can you mix down to CD-RW and play it elsewhere? That would be a great option if it is available.

THanks,

gen

Back