mindprint di-port + motu2408mk2?

ragata

A few days ago I got a great deal on the mindprint di-port thinking I could use it to expand my current system (motu 2408 mk2) through it's sp/dif connections. This shouldn't be a problem, as the di-port is nothing but an ad/da convertor with integrated preamps that can be set as slave in a larger system.
However.
Today I bought the spdif cables and hooked it up the the motu, and I'm getting nothing but static from the di-port.
It's clocked through the 2408's internal clock. Have I missed something here? Does anyone have any experience with these two units, or perhaps ran into a similar situation before?
I have previously had a lucid 2chan. d/a connected to the motu without any problems.

Anyone?..

Last edited:
Yep. You missed the clock settings. When recording using S/PDIF devices, you have to set the MOTU clock to S/PDIF.

Cheers track rat, but that didn't seem to do the trick. When changing to spdif clocking, the leds for 44.1 and 48 are blinking at the same time on the motu, I'm still getting static on ONE of the two channels on the mindprint, and random bursts of noise on my analog inputs. Plus, it seems I cannot record at all.
Damn it.

I'm beginning to think that the di-port cannot be used in this setup, for some reason, but cannot find any more ellaborate info on the subject.
Granted, the unit has been around for a few years, but still...

Make sure the sampling rate is set the same on both units. Also, in your recording software. It should work.

Nope, it doesn't. :mad:
The di-port should default to whatever samplerate the motu is using since it's set as a slave. It gets a valid signal from the motu - the "locked" led indicator lights up and all. I can change the samplerate manually and have of course done so, but that didn't change anything.
I'm going to try a few other things and see what happens, but I doubt it'll work. Like I said earlier - I've used a second d/a via spdif without any problems, but not an a/d.

I appreciate the help, track rat.
Has anyone else used the di-port in a similar setup?

is the mindprint stereo or mono?
maybe you have to select SPDIF Left or SPDIF right,
no great advice but i can't think of anything else.. and what kind of spdif cable did you buy? a 75ohm cable, or are you using regular RCA cables?

earworm said:
is the mindprint stereo or mono?
maybe you have to select SPDIF Left or SPDIF right,
no great advice but i can't think of anything else.. and what kind of spdif cable did you buy? a 75ohm cable, or are you using regular RCA cables?

The di-port is stereo.
I cannot choose to enable only one of the two inputs, though I can enable mono routing in the motu setup panel (which I have done). But I don't think that's the problem.
The cables are quality spdif, no regular rca though I understand that rca probably would work as well, but with decreased performance.

The problem seems to be with the di-port, that somehow the 2408 isn't getting a valid signal back. Using the motu's internal clock causes static on the spdif inputs, and this is understandable. But when changing to spdif sync, the 2408 can't seem determine the samplerate. So I'm thinking that the issue must be with the mindprint.
I'll probably just give up in the end and use it as an analogue pre :mad:

Thanks for the advice earworm :)

Back