Mindless philosophising about Newbism

charlie b

Sometimes I find it a bit daunting around here - most people seem to have been involved with the whole music shindig for years. I'm 27 and only started trying to do this about 3 months ago. Are there ANY newbies out there who haven't played guitar since the dinosaurs?

Having said this, I do also realise that without the experience that everyone brings to the board, a lot of us would be screwed good and proper...so thanks to all of you who have been kind enough to share your knowledge.

Anyway, I was just commenting more than anything...but I also have 49 posts and I wanted to see if something would happen at 50...hmmm... :D

You started guitar AND recording at 27 three months ago?

I have to say I truly admire that. It's very tough as an adult to start from scratch, you just don't have that much time. At 15 I could blow 5 hours a day on practice, no problem. Now at 31 I'm lucky to get 5 hours a week in the studio. If I didn't have basic chops, I'd be tough.

But don't let me discourage you! Do it, man, you only live once and regrets suck. I lost almost 10 years between performances for no good reason. Get out there, get in the studio, and make it happen!

I once flew a client into "Cowgary" for a couple of days. I thought the mountains off toward BC were awesome.

I started guitar when I was 12, but I don't play very often. I'm here to learn about the tech end so I can do voice recording. For the mopst part, I'm learning a little bit every day.

A the very least, you'll keep your brain exercised! :D

charlie b said:
I'm 27 and only started trying to do this about 3 months ago.

What took you so long to get started? I remember my mom taking piano lessons when she was in her thirties but she never stuck with it. It seems like most musicians are drawn to it at a pretty early age and just keep doing it out of habit, lol.

Yeah, Can't play football, girls don't like me, fuck you, I'll play guitar grow my hair long, become a rock star, that'll get the girls. Crap, becoming a rock star is hard, well, maybe I'll learn to record. No girls, but at least I didn't waste all that time learning to tune my guitar. :p

Junior Member Charlieb,
I do not play guitar at all. At 37 I am only about 3 years into recording for myself. I started out acting with songwriting as a side interest. The theatre company I was with wrote and recorded original music but I was never behind the controls. after the company broke up I continued writing songs and began recording them as an outlet. I second that thanks to those who are sharing their knowledge. (How the hell are you typing? I thought you were going to play bass till your fingers fell off.)

charlie b said:
Sometimes I find it a bit daunting around here - most people seem to have been involved with the whole music shindig for years. I'm 27 and only started trying to do this about 3 months ago. Are there ANY newbies out there who haven't played guitar since the dinosaurs?

Having said this, I do also realise that without the experience that everyone brings to the board, a lot of us would be screwed good and proper...so thanks to all of you who have been kind enough to share your knowledge.

Anyway, I was just commenting more than anything...but I also have 49 posts and I wanted to see if something would happen at 50...hmmm... :D

I'm with ya man. :D

I'm 40. I used to play guitar a fair amount but was never really that good (I did kick some ass on the trumpet though :D). I didn't really play for quite a few years and then kind of picked it back up again, then down again and now up again because I want to record songwriter demos. I just got into computer based home recording a couple years ago (kind of a first crack) then my daughter was born and I didn't do anything for over 2 years. Now I am getting back into it heavier. It feels like I am starting over. At 40 that can get a little discouraging, but I ain't quitting. I think I might get some guitar & piano lessons in the near future. :)

I stand here beside you with my newbieness exposed :D

Typing with prosthetic fingers

Hee hee you guys are cool. I love the diversity in here.

What took me so long you ask? Well, I've always been interested but my music teacher in highschool made very sure I felt like I was stupid and incapable of doing anything musical. I steered more towards painting and drawing and wound up studying art at university for 4 years. Painting doesn't seem to entirely 'fill the gap' for me though so I thought I would try another avenue while I keep at the art thing. .

I have this corny 'Things I Want To Do Before I Die' list that I take a couple of things from and attempt every year. I always wanted to sing so I took some voice lessons awhile back and that helped my confidence a lot in regard to music in general.

The guitar thing is my boyfriend's fault - hes been playing guitar for what seems like forever to me (he disagrees) and I told him he was going to teach me :D . Lucky for me, hes good with the theory side of things and incredibly patient. I think I'm enjoying it so much cause its something I never thought I would be capable of doing. Besides that, because I'm such a beginner my progress is more evident (slow, but evident).

As for the technical side of recording stuff, I really haven't tried very much of that at all yet. The bf has been explaining things to me but admittedly its not sticking so well at this time. I think I'm lucky that hes been interested in this for awhile cause hes done the gear research and learned from his mistakes. I think I'm in prime learning territory.

Its really nice to see some other newbs just starting out...with the occasional aid of the 'ignore' button, this place has a nice vibe to it. Good luck with your stuff guys, keep us other newbs up to date with whatever you have going on. :)

Back