millinocket

Well you're no help...

I thought the wah bass thing was kind of cool? Not something I'd do on a regular basis, but once in a while? Bass not bassy enough for you? I could turn it up....

I am less than no help lol. Anyway - I think the wah bass IS cool, but wah thins out the actual bass, so it needs another bass under the bass :-)

I am less than no help lol. Anyway - I think the wah bass IS cool, but wah thins out the actual bass, so it needs another bass under the bass :-)

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I could've split the signal and blended in a clean track, but didn't think to do that. I get plenty-o-bass through my speakers, but then I listen to the last tune I did and this one seems anemic by comparison. Maybe I should stop and check stuff during the process instead of always just plunging ahead? :) Good to hear from you man. Hope all is well.

I thought chuckduffy's point was pretty interesting. That's what wah does, right? So what can you do to wah bass to make sure it has more balls? My guess is boost the lows. Too obvious to be feasible?

I thought chuckduffy's point was pretty interesting. That's what wah does, right? So what can you do to wah bass to make sure it has more balls? My guess is boost the lows. Too obvious to be feasible?

Not necessarily. This particular wah almost created two distinct tones...the squawking wah sound plus a parallel lower tone...it sounds good and full by itself, but a lot of it gets masked by the other sounds here. I did wind up boosting some lows on the bass guitar...something I don't think I've had to do before.

I went back to this last night and did one more mix. Started from scratch and worked quickly. I think many aspects of it are better, but there's still some things I'd change if I were able. If anyone cares to give this one another spin that would be great, if not, I understand. It sounds quite different to me, but may sound pretty similar to others, I don't know. It certainly has more thump now. There just aren't so many higher register tracks here to bring forward to offset that, so maybe a bit dull, but I think it's a pretty good mix? Lead guitar is certainly louder, and there's a break following that with just drums, bass & vocals to give it a rest for a second. :)

04/15/15 Dance Remix:

Yeah, I think working fast is the best way, and come back to it again and again. This one's got more low end than anything you've posted so far. When I flip over to the little mono speaker, though, the bass tends to disappear just a taste too much - maybe boost it around 1K or so? For playback on all those earplugs this one's going to generate...

Yeah, I think working fast is the best way, and come back to it again and again. This one's got more low end than anything you've posted so far. When I flip over to the little mono speaker, though, the bass tends to disappear just a taste too much - maybe boost it around 1K or so? For playback on all those earplugs this one's going to generate...

Yes, of course. Destined to be a big hit with the kids. :)

Thanks for checking it out dobro. I realize the bass isn't quite where it should be, but I think it's closer. I'll take a look at the EQ there and see if the boost you mention pays off. Bass aside, I think this mix may have more going for it in terms of dynamics and the arrangement anyway. Thanks again! :)

New mix.
I love the chicken scratching guitar.
Bigger bottom end which works well.
I think it's very cool.

---------- Update ----------

New mix.
I think it's very cool.

New mix.
I think it's very cool.

---------- Update ----------

New mix.
I think it's very cool.

Thank you ray. :)

I've listened to the third mix a few times since posting it, and I think I'll go with that one. It has most of what I wanted in it.

I appreciate you coming back to this and offering your reassurances. :)

Thank you ray. :)

I've listened to the third mix a few times since posting it, and I think I'll go with that one. It has most of what I wanted in it.

I appreciate you coming back to this and offering your reassurances. :)

It's time to come back and rock out.

Back