Military Arcade - No Money (a quick 1 take per instrument track)

NovaStudios

If you listen to the attachment, make sure your volume is quite down because i haven't really started mixing it.
I was just wondering what everyone thought of this track, despite it's dodgy parts and distorted moments. Each instrument did 1 take only through an M-Audio fast track USB into cubase. I'm really stuggling to mix it and i was wondering if there was any advice.
Obviously, i'm only starting this recording game...

Attachments

• Military Arcade - No Money (Aaron Drumming).mp3
    9.1 MB · Views: 10
make sure your volume is quite down because i haven't really started mixing it.

This is why you're finding it difficult to mix.

This should read "make sure your volume is up because i haven't started mixing it yet"

I don't know if you're tracks are distorted at preamp/conversion or if it's just happening in the software.

If it's the former, you're screwed, and if it's the latter, I would go through and turn every track down by like 20db or something.

Turn them all down equally, but make sure that no track is anywhere near red on the meters.

Hope that helps.

as steen says the first rule of mixing is headroom, you should only peak at around -6dbs (or thereabouts), the main body of the mix should be around -12db......bring the tracks volume up in a separate project...

that being said I liked the tune...but youre a guitarist I bet, thats why theyre louder than everything else :)

timings out at parts but I like the energy, and the drummers sounds like hes having a cymbal fit, I like too

like kasabian meets the kings of leon and have a fight!

get the timing right, mix at lower levels, mix around the kick and bass first, then some of the rock guys can help you with the finer points

welcome aboard

I'd like to say thank you to you guys for being so supportive, we've mixed it again and it no longer peaks at ridiculous levels :D
Although, i'm still a ridiculous amateur, i'm very grateful!

I'd like to say thank you to you guys for being so supportive, we've mixed it again and it no longer peaks at ridiculous levels :D
Although, i'm still a ridiculous amateur, i'm very grateful!

I love the feel of this, and I like the sound. Vocals could be up a little, but not much. Everything seems to be centred, I'd like things spread a bit more, but I don't know if it'd loose some of it's power and blending. There's one or two bits where the timing goes out, but you might be able to solve that with a bit of the old cut and paste. Vocals remind me of Damon Albarn.

Back