Miking cello

AndrewC

What are some good mics, either condenser or ribbon, for miking a cello? Ideally I'm looking for something that would also work well miking male vocals (specifically baritone) and under $300.

Having owned a pari fo the V67g's, that would definately not be on my list of cello mics. As for riboons, I have used a Royer R121 manjy times an it has worked really well on cello. I would imagine most any ribbon mic by nature will lend itself nicely to cell though :)

The KSM27 definitely looks like a possibility. If I were to buy a mic specifically for miking cello, would a small diaphragm condenser be ideal? I've heard they're a bit more sensitive and pick up more detail on strings and acoustic guitar...

For a cello, probably not. I mean, you could mic it with one, but cello is a much lower pitched instrument by nature. It's a tenor/baritone range instrument, so you don't really have to pick up the overtones precisely up into the stratosphere to get a sound that isn't weird. It's like why microphones tend to be more forgiving on male vocalists and toms than female vocalists and cymbals. :)

I've been known to use an SDC or MDC from behind the cellist to pick up more of the sound of the room with a cardiod LDC in front. Certainly worth experimenting with things like that if you have the mics handy. I've also occasionally used a piezo mic. Takes a lot of EQ to not sound like crap, though.

Read this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr99/articles/recstrings.htm
http://cellofun.yuku.com/topic/3876/t/Amplifying-Questions.html

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to try a LDC on cello and hear how things sound. And rather than buying a ribbon mic, I think I am going to purchase one mic specifically for my vocals-- a Shure SM7b.

I literally did this just hours ago, and got great results from a stereo pair of SDC's, AT4041's in ORTF fashion. I set up a ribbon a few feet in front of her, to add some body, but it really wasn't necessary. The stereo pair captured a nice presentation.

I have done quite a few cellos, the other day I listened to a cello recording I had done years ago when I was short of mics (I am always short of mics even if I had a 100 of them ha ha), I recorded the cello with a Rode NT1 about a 1 to 1 1/2 feet in front around the centre. It sounded really good.

I have also learned over the years that the cello is one of the hardest instruments to record, the double bass is even harder, as it really depends on the quality of the cello and the player, more than other instruments.

Cheers

Alan.

I agree the quality of the instrument and playing (intonation is certainly difficult on the cello) is extremely important. Fortunately, most cello tracks I end up adding to my songs will be sitting in rather dense mixes. That will help a bit since I don't have high end mics and a great space for recording.

Hi,

I've been researching microphones for cello for a quite a while now (I was actually the starter of two of the threads linked to above). Thought I might add a few questions to the tab:
1. If I were recording both solo cello and other chamber music (e.g. string quartets, chamber jazz) on separate occasions, but I was restricted to only one pair of microphones, what microphone would you recommend? The recording space will be favorable. Unlike the OP, the solo cello application will be solo classical (e.g. Bach Cello Suites), not placed in a mix.
2. Any thoughts or comments on the CAD M179 for this application? I like the continuous pickup pattern sweep.

Let us know how your LDC turns out, AndrewC.

Thanks

Here...

see this thread with photo and mp3,

...is a bass that I recorded some time ago using two "group buy" (click on microphones) condenser mics as well. I used the mid-side technique which worked well. One was the ACM-6802T and the other was ACM-583 set to figure 8. Both could probably be had for less than $100 ea. next GB.

That recording is without EQ, just to let you know what they sound like raw.

Yo Andrew C! I have had some call to mic cellos. Are you still doing the SM7? It is a very good vocal mic for some folks, and even after you find a better studio mic for the cello, the SM7 will remain a good *live* mic for the cello. In the studio, I have had my best luck with small diaphragm mics backed off a bit to decrease bow scratch, but you need a good-sounding room for that (quiet).
On the more affordable end, I've gotten fair results with Oktava MK 319, Studio Projects C-4, AKG C2000B, and AT4033. The two latter are both small diaphragm mics, but in larger housings, and tend to work on vocals better than pencil mics. For some singers, you need 2 pop filters with SD mics. Lately, I use a pair of KM184's, a B.L.U.E. Kiwi and/or a C414. Not because they are "great" mics, but they are what I have. And- I have no complaints. The KM 184 is underated by the mic geeks. It has worked very well for my needs Good luck with whatever mic you settle on.-Richie

What are some good mics, either condenser or ribbon, for miking a cello? Ideally I'm looking for something that would also work well miking male vocals (specifically baritone) and under $300.

Ribbon mic would be my 1st choice for the cello and in the $300 range, I'd suggest looking at the Cascade Fat Head II w/Lundahl Transformer (~$349). There are audio samples on their web site as well. However, to get the best results from ribbon mics, you should have a pre-amp with a high amount of gain.

Let's face it---when you love the sound of live strings, you KNOW there's a sweet spot that develops away from the instrument. Most of the battle is Placement, placement, placement, but if you can get and capture this spot, you save yourself a lot of processing. You already had some good suggestions thrown your way. I've seen Yo Yo Ma live with SDC and/or LDC mics---but no vocals involved. Some other mics in your pricerange that can, with good placement, easily give you chills with a cello and do good vocal duty:

octava MK012 (with interchangeable capsules) and MK319 (good wood)
CAD M179 (nice detail and flexibility; often reminds me of a quality dynamic-ribbon hybrid)
Naiant MSH-4 (Find the sweet spot and put it where your head was; other Naiants might apply)
Karma K6 (will save you money on a "ribbon" mic pre).

I'd suspect that a Karma K58 or an MXL960 would also serve both purposes well.

Don't forget to try rotating a Figure-8 mic in the sweet spot.

Let us know how you make out.
Paj
8^)

Hi Richard,

I purchased an AT4040, although I won't be recording cello tracks with it until I have a quieter environment in which to record.

I have had great success recording 'cello with the micro tube small condenser mic from naiant studios as well as the a Behri large condenser. The MSH4 is king!
Then again I've had good results with a sony ECM 19b (after some self noise filtering) so I have no taste whatsoever.
Position and preamp will be crucial though.

Back