miking acoustic/electric

toast

Just wondering what some of your techniques are for miking an acoustic/electric. Do you mike, go straight into a pre with the direct out, or a combination of both? I'm shooting for that Al DiMeola type sound.
Thanks
Torsten

I like to mike the amp, but a DI ( direct inject ) box sometimes works too. Your right, try both and see which works best. It does depend on what other equipment you are using. I use a Line 6 Pod for the direct stuff, get the best mic's and DI box you can afford, and you'll get a good sound

You can always blend the two tracks (if you got them to spare). I like taking the crispness of the di and the low end from the amp and blending them together.

Al Dimeola seems to record his acoustic live stuff using all high end - starting with his Ovation, and heavy on the direct. I expect that the internal transducer is going to be critical; don't expect a run of the mill piezo to do it for you.

I'd track as many incoming signals simultaneously as I could - undersaddle, internal mic, small diaphragm condenser, SM57, LD condenser - each running to a discrete track if you can, and then start playing with the tracks.

Well, I've got some nice stuff, just never recorded an acoustic/electric before.
Amps Fender Twin
Marshall 9200 dual monobloc

Pres SPL Goldmike
Joe Meek VC2
Neve 1073 (chandler LTD-1)

Mics 2 Oktava MK012's
2 Sennheiser 441's
Neumann UM-57 blue modified
ADK 51TT
ADK 51TC
AT 4060
AT 4033