Miking a Lesley cab. ???

Macca

G'day all,

A little project I'm undertaking, recording a handfull of my own blues stuff on my Korg D8.
I have access to a Hammond clone (Godwin) with a real Leslie cabinet. Now, how the heck do I mic it???
I want to get a reasonable sound so I'm willing to hire a couple of mic's & pre to do the job. Any suggestions or tips.

Thanks in advance.
Macca,
(little Aussi bluesy dude.)

If you have access to these mikes, this setup works great.
2 Neumann u-87's or AKG414's spread them equi-distant from the rotating horn at the top (equi distant from the horn - not the enclosure), next place a Neumann u-47fet about a foot behind the Leslie about 18 inches off the ground. Blend all three mics to 2 tracks. If you can't find the 47fet try it with an AKG-d112. As for mic pre's I love my Avalon M5
Good Luck

I go one mike further - first take the rear panels off both the top and the bottom. Now carefully slide a mike on a boom arm into the cabinet so it is inside looking back and out of the range of the rotor. now place another opposite it on the outside. I then put an x/y on the bottom speaker and pan both sets l/r. The rotor will turn in your head - very trippy/hippy - if you want something different remove an output valve for that real genuine grunge sound.
cheers

The above are great ideas, and should work well. I use 2 Beyer M260's for the top rotor, and a EV 666 on the bottom when I'm close mic'ing a Leslie...
In an overdub in a dense mix, however, I've mic'ed a Leslie from across the room (15' away) with a single RCA BX or a KM84, through a Distrssor on "nuke", and have really liked the results...

Thanks, one and all.

Plenty of options and you all sound like you've done it before!
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Thanks again,
Macca

Man, I wish I had leslie to worry about micing. here I am sticking my practice amps on turntables....

MIKE

Back