Mike Spitz has died

briank

analog for the people!
Shame. :(

Never used ATR tape, but then, he was responsible for much more than just ATR tape for the pro audio world.
He helped keep pro decks going with his custom work....something analog tape users need in this day when no one is building new decks any more.

Peace.....keep spinning them reels, brother.

Mike is responsible for many, many important things that have benefitted the analog tape community over the years.

There has been a bit of discussion regarding his passing and contributions over at the recordist.com Ampex List. Mike, an ex-Ampex employee, continued service to Ampex customers when Ampex ceased operations in its audio division in 1983...Mike continued refinements on the the ATR-10x machines and was able to obtain parts and supplies from Ampex after 1983 and continued to assemble new and improved ATR-10x machines for many years, even up until relatively recently. A lot of knowledge and experiences passes with him.

There was a press release issued by ATR Services indicating the show would go on. It seems Mike saw the writing on the wall for himself and implemented plans to continue the operation...that's what can be read in between the lines.

As one Ampex List member said with the number of very important, brilliant folks that have died in recent years, "That big control room in the sky is getting awfully crowded." Or words to that effect.

Blessings and comfort to the Spitz family.

Sorry to hear. ATR services has been quite an institution in the analog world and hope it continues to be.

Long live Mike Spitz dream to Keep analog tape going!…Talked with him a few times….Super nice guy….Support ATR to keep his dream
alive……...

I too had dealings with Mike and found he was a great resource of machined parts for the tape deck.
The tape (ATR) can not be beat and according to sources from another well known company that makes tape the demand for new fresh tape continues to grow year after year. Of course this is no surprise as I get more and more work in repair of these units. Since 2010 I have been overloaded with work but there may be light at the end of the tunnel as I am to start training a younger guy to get some help.
Mike will be missed for a long time.

Back