Mike for ROLAND VS-880 v-xpanded

theflyingfoal

Hi guys

Just got an old Roland VS-880 in excellent order and am now on the look-out for a mike to do it justice. Don't have enough money for a valve but was wondering what other users recommend in terms of set-up and hardware for the small studio / digital multitrack, looking for something warm, thanks, open to any suggestions :confused:

Principally the mike will be used for vocals / guitar / accordian (folk / indie cross) was wondering if anyone knew of one mike that would tick all the boxes

Cheers, The Foal

Last edited:
audio technica 4047 is nice. . also check out v69 marshall . i dont know if warm and dark would be all that multi purpose though. a good cleaner alternative would be a audio technica 4040 around 200$ on the ebay.

The thing I don't like about the 880 is 1/4" ins and no phantom power. I'd get a LDC, there are TONS of "best mic" threads around, and depending on your budget you could get a good one. You'll also need a phantom power supply, and a 1/4" to XLR adapter that changes impedence would not hurt either. I've got some pretty good results with an 880, they're pretty fun to play around with.
Rory

thanks guys

what is your take on the Rode N1? I've been told this would work well with the roland and be up to the job for the things I want

You know, sounds like your music has a sort of traditional, old-time bent. Forget a phantom power box and just use a couple of Shure SM57's. I bet you like the sound.

Back