Midiman monitors

Cons as I see them:

They are new to making monitors and these are their first attempt.
The swivelling tweeter idea sounds a little dubious to me.
With a product this new you ARE going to be a Guinea pig.
Midiman as a company has been expanding FAST, probably too fast, due to the popularity of their sound cards, this means that quality control and customer service may be overburdened at times.

PROS as I see them:

Midiman has always been a company that produced good, smart, useful products at reasonable prices.
Their designers don't seem to be deaf like in some other companies, so their products usually sound good and work well.

If it was my choice I'd wait until some real world user reviews were out, or go with another brand that is a known performer.

Damn, that's ugly.

Look at the response. +-4dB from 200-20kHz with those big ripples starting above 3kHz (remember that virtually every manufacturer smoothes their response data). They don't even show the bass response.

And that swivel tweeter is useless. Well, worse than useless because it doesn't provide a ridged mounting and almost surely introduces high frequency resonances.

Plus, where are the heat sinks for the amps? They're probably using those cheesy single supply integrated units which run in class AB, but lean heavily towards the B (this means lots of harmonic distortion).

I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to give this one a listen.

barefoot

Thanks for the replies.

I'll wait for a while. I was being intensely pushed to pick up a pair quickly, might give it a go-by. I'll now be looking for Tannoy or something else, that'll be two month's pay.

Barefoot: (BTW my friend's band is called that, just got their first album out!) I guess 200 is the bottom end of usable response...

Back