Midi?

mechanophiliac

Hi, I've been hearing more and more about this perplexing term. does anyone know of a good site that might enlighten me on this subject? or even better... some one can give me a broad overview of the term. (if your up for it) =)
Thanks to everyone

MIDI is the universal language of computer music. It's used to communicate with compatible MIDI instruments and sequencers - they read this "language", and play songs back.

That's a pretty general question... if you need just a general overview, I bet you could find a good book at your local bookstore or music store. Or maybe you have a more specific question? There are some real MIDI experts on here.

Not that I'm one of them. ;-) But I'm a huge MIDI fan.

MIDI is more than just the software language - it also is a hardaware computer interface. MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It was introduced in 1983 and the first mass produced synth to use this interface was the Yamaha DX-7. With the advent of Windows 3.1, the Sound Balster card and its support for multimedia, the definition became somewhat distorted.

Here is a usefull link:

http://www.midi.com/ and then click on About MIDI.

Back