Midi vs drum software

Actually, a drum program that is programmed by a real drummer who happens to be good at programming drums like a real drummer is very convincing...

Just saying... :)

Absolutely, 99% general listeners ask me who's playing the drums in my songs? Raw samples, a lot of variation in velocity, a not too perfect program, and constantly adding fills, changes and variation as the project develops, are the keys that work for me.

It really is a fact that 90%+ of non-musicians who hear music with software drums can't tell or don't care that the drums are not played by a 'real drummer'.

BTW, this is a HOME recording site, yes?
Although I agree that my actual playing on my tracks could and probably would sound better than my samples programmed, I'm certainly not going to go spend $3000 on mics and a 18i20 to record drums, pack them into my little room, spend another $1000 to treat the room decently to record drums and get "better" drums than my programming and midi keys do for me. I'm not looking for a Columbia contract, I'm making HOME recordings. :D

I'm certainly not going to go spend $3000 on mics and a 18i20 to record drums, pack them into my little room, spend another $1000 to treat the room decently to record drums and get "better" drums than my programming and midi keys do for me. I'm not looking for a Columbia contract, I'm making HOME recordings. :D

But you know you want to...Come on man, just do it...You can take out a loan...

-the voice of the evil guy on your shoulder-

lol!

Though I actually did listen to that little f**ker and actually I don't regret it. I could have had a new car though...

:D

I'm doing my best to collect all the shit I need (I really do) before getting married so I can say "Oh, that! That's practically worth nothing and I prefer to have the living room inside this little closet right here."

I'm doing my best to collect all the shit I need (I really do) before getting married so I can say "Oh, that! That's practically worth nothing and I prefer to have the living room inside this little closet right here."

You have to master the technique of picking up a new piece of equipment every once in a while and sliding into the room. If she comes in and actually asks, you say, "Gosh, that old thing?"

But you know you want to...Come on man, just do it...You can take out a loan...

-the voice of the evil guy on your shoulder-

lol!

Though I actually did listen to that little f**ker and actually I don't regret it. I could have had a new car though...

:D

I do have a new car, and too small a room to even try (I'm in the third bedroom (shared with my wife's craft room.)) All those quilts and knitted items sure help room acoustics!!! :D
And my only "dependents are 3 cats and 2 dogs...Just waiting for more funding (wife's been out of work since August).

Meh... don't get married. It's not really very rock 'n' roll, is it? I can't imagine every having a discussion with a significant other where she's telling me not to buy something... :)

That said, there's only so much shit you actually need. I haven't bought a guitar in years, having 10 of them... or a mic, having most of what I'd ever need. Apart from upgrading to a new PC / interface a year or so ago, the only money I've been spending is on software...

I actually have a rule... "don't buy me musical gifts"... unless you have a specific model number & colour and I've been talking about it for more than 6 months... I have still yet to work out the sequence of events that lead to a (now) ex proudly wrapping up a Pearl snare drum, stand, sticks and brushes as a present... (non-drummer here). I still have it. Never been played. I must have been musing about it sometime and she picked up on it and had an "a-ha" moment...

Actually, in the past, it's been at my wife's insistence that I bought my monitors (and the upgrades) and all of my mikes (only 4 so far). Once was a time, I was just a happy midi manipulator. Reason changed that and it was my wife that supported my dream...just waiting on more funding :D

Back