midi voices change in SX3

Dr Shock

I have been having a problem when I save a project that combines audio and midi. When I first import the midi and audio tracks, everything is correct. After editing and mixing the audio and midi together, I will save under a different name. For example mix 001 then mix 002 etc etc. At a later date when I open up the latter mixed and edited versions, some of the midi voices change. In other words, what once was a grand piano is now synth strings or something else. If, while this latter mixed project is open, I open the original project ( say 001 ), the mid voices are correct and then my subsequent mixes, 002 and up, now have the correct midi voices. It would be nice to just open whatever mix I want to continue working on , and have the midi voices correct. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dr shock

You're not stating whether these are VSTis or external MIDI devices. With external MIDI devices it is very much possible that the sounds would be different, unless your setup, hookups never change, and you've put MIDI program change info at the beginning of the MIDI track, to make sure your MIDI device changes to the proper program.

I am using A Roland Sound Canvas module and I never change anything on it.
The midi tracks were made in Cakewalk by the musician, and I converted the Cakewalk work files into Standard midi files, brought them into Cubase and they sounded fine. When I close Cubase and reopen it , some midi tracks have changed vocies except for the original mid file import

Back