midi velocity

axeman_ukl

is it possible to change the velocity of all the notes that appear in say f# on the piano roll by say 20 with out effecting any other notes in the midi file ?

with out having to edit them all induvidually

thanking anybody in advance who can shed any light on this

Yes with the Logical editor. There are many options

But also in the Key editor if you want them to all have the same lower velocity. Just select all F# en change the velocity.

Cheers

Wim

That's one of the main reasons I need to use Cubase - for Logical Edit. Otherwise you need to go through the whole tune note by note.

There is no Logical Edit on some versions of Cubase like LE, SE1, SE3, SL and Essential 4... there could be others.

Yes with the Logical editor. There are many options

But also in the Key editor if you want them to all have the same lower velocity. Just select all F# en change the velocity.

Cheers

Wim

will that make them all the same value ?
what i need to do is to raise them all by 20 but keep the velocity range they had.

ie note 1 velocity 56 new value 76
note 2 velocity 63 new value 83

and so on.

Yes, it can add 20, that will result in "note 1 velocity 56 new value 76
note 2 velocity 63 new value 83", that is very simple.

Logical Editor is capable of doing advanced stuff like taking all the Bb's that are between the value of 27 and 83 that lie on between the "and of 3 and the and of four" in the bar and dividing their volume by 82%.

So doing what you're asking is easy stuff for Logical Editor.

To me it is essential for MIDI drum editing.

Yes, it can add 20, that will result in "note 1 velocity 56 new value 76
note 2 velocity 63 new value 83", that is very simple.

Logical Editor is capable of doing advanced stuff like taking all the Bb's that are between the value of 27 and 83 that lie on between the "and of 3 and the and of four" in the bar and dividing their volume by 82%.

So doing what you're asking is easy stuff for Logical Editor.

To me it is essential for MIDI drum editing.

thats what is was for the snare came out too quiet ,what sort of dynamic range do you tend to use on your midi drums (quietest bass and snare to loudest) ?

thats what is was for the snare came out too quiet ,what sort of dynamic range do you tend to use on your midi drums (quietest bass and snare to loudest) ?

I make my snare 88 and my kick 88 for a regular ol' rock beat. Sometimes the kick goes up to 91. Sometimes the snare goes down to 72 like on the vereses. The hihat would be" loud notes (like on the beat) = 72 and soft beat (like on the "ands") 32 to 48 or so. This is all general, but I do start with that. Crash cymbals are usually 48 to 64, and ride is like 44 to 72.

Rarely does anything hit 100. I find, and always have, that running the drum tracks "loud" sound really bad and harsh. Especially the cymbals - I can rarely use higher than 72.

The overall drum track is set to Control Change 007 = 100.

The main thing people screw up is the proportions, the ratios between the kick, snare and hihat, with the #1 amateur flaw being the hihat is too loud. You've got to almost bury the hihat so it's almost, but not, too soft. And when you make an mp3 often the hihat will sound too loud, or have bad tone, which is very much the same.

I've been working on this since 1983!

It has helped standardize my songs so that there's no big leaps in volume from one song to the next.

I donot see the problem of midi velocities.

If you transfer all your drum tracks one by one to audio you can use your faders to get any volume you want.

So midi volume are not that critical.

Cheers
Wim

I donot see the problem of midi velocities.

If you transfer all your drum tracks one by one to audio you can use your faders to get any volume you want.

So midi volume are not that critical.

Cheers
Wim

Velocity and volume are two very different things.

Back