Midi to Wave like reason

sarkastic714

How do I convert a midi sound in a wave sound....like reason does? Im doing it of Sonar and Acid im stuck in both programs.

there are several software synths like reason...such as Project 5 or frooty loops...infact u r doin the same thing...ur just using a diffrent tone bank...or u can even buy a module...

sarkastic714 said:
Im doing it of Sonar

Sonar uses DXi soft synths and there are several included in the program. I know Acid 4 has midi capabilities too. Read the Sonar manual chapter on assigning a soft synth to a track -- that should help you.

So in simple words I can't render a midi track i just record to convert into wave...i hate reading munuals cuz i dont get them :(

in simple terms:

MIDI is NOT MUSIC, it is only data, that when sent to a MUSIC GENERATING DEVICE such as a sound module/soft synth TRANSLATES the MIDI DATA into MUSIC.

MIDI is nothing more than a form of a programming language.

sarkastic714 said:
So in simple words I can't render a midi track i just record to convert into wave...i hate reading munuals cuz i dont get them :(

In simple words, YES you can. Well, not exactly. As was said, MIDI is NOT audio. For instance, when you insert a softsynth in SONAR you create both a MIDI track and an audio track. The MIDI track contains the information on how and what to play, the audio track contains the output of the synthesizer which is audio and can be treated as such. So, technically, you can't make a MIDI track into a WAV file, but once you assign that track to a synth, either hard or soft, you can record the output of the synth as audio.

Does that make more sense? ;)

Ted

sarkastic. there are several ways to convert a midi track to wave. a friend and i once did this. we soloed the midi track THEn using a second pc we
took the line out from the first pc to sound card line in on the second pc and got ourselves a wave track. then we played it back from second pc (the wave track) and recorded back in the first pc. bit convoluted but its one way. this was before the current technology.
ive done it often with midi drum tracks for example.
another way is ive come across (search in google) some third party midi to wave convertors. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE.
ive heard some work reasonable, others dont.
just some ideas.

MIDI is nothing more than a form of a programming language.

No it isn't. A programming language is used to write code that performs a task. MIDI is a form of information; it's a file format, or a data protocol... but it's not a programming language.

manning1 said:
sarkastic. there are several ways to convert a midi track to wave. a friend and i once did this. we soloed the midi track THEn using a second pc we
took the line out from the first pc to sound card line in on the second pc and got ourselves a wave track. then we played it back from second pc (the wave track) and recorded back in the first pc. bit convoluted but its one way. this was before the current technology.
ive done it often with midi drum tracks for example.
another way is ive come across (search in google) some third party midi to wave convertors. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE.
ive heard some work reasonable, others dont.
just some ideas.

You cannot convert a MIDI file to .wav directly, it's impossible. MIDI, as has been stated, is simply a set of directions, or more accurately, "performance gestures", that describe the various aspects of a musical performance. IT IS NOT AUDIO INFORMATION. The ONLY way to convert it to a .wav format is for some kind of MIDI device to interpret these gestures and create a .wav file from them. If there are MIDI to .wav converters out there then they are simply performing the function of a synthesizer and recording the subsequent audio produced. The quality of these performances would vary with the quality of the synthesis engine employed by the program.

Ted

This is how I create MIDI to WAV

PC = Pentium I @ 100 mhz with Soundblaster PCI-128 ( onboard E-mu synth chip ) Note: SB Live is a better card.
My MIDI playback is configured to GS Midi ( 8 meg SoundFont )
I use Jazz++ from WWW.jazzware.com as my sequencer (free)
I use the Creative Recorder. (came with soundcard)

Steps to follow :
---------------------------------------
1) Open MIDI file with sequencer software
2) Open Recorder software ( make sure setting are 16 bit 44.1 khz aka CD quality )
3) Press "Record" on Recorder program
4) Press "Play" on Sequencer program

When song finishes
------------------------------
5) Press "Stop" on Recorder program
6) Press "Stop" on Sequencer program
7) Recorder program, select "File", then "Save As" and give it a name
Note: Because of the options used in step 2, this should save as WAV

Extra steps
----------------------
Because of the timing delay in steps 3 and 4, you may want to use a Wave Editor to trim off the extra blank space at the beginning of the recording.
I use EZ CD Creator. Simply, open the file, highlight the blank area, and press the "delete" key. Then, "File", then "Save", and you're finished.

ted i'm well aware of what yu said being a computer person.
when we did it with pc's there were sound card synth sounds used.
you are correct the midi to wave convertors have a synth built in. must have for it to work.
by the way on the other post between us , I Do UNDERSTAND what your getting at. AND YOU ARE CORRECT ! i just dont like it as
ive seen too many folks get into problems. THATS ALL I WAS TRYING
TO SAY.

I think i got it so simpley just unmute the computer playback channel on the mixboard so it would record the midi information...then it will make it into a wav. track. sounds Simple enough....

The mixer has nothing to do with the MIDI information, so no, I don't think you get it yet...

don't pretend it's THAT complicated, guys.

sarkastic, a question: when you play a midi-file on your computer, does it sound the way you want it?

if your answer is yes, then it will be VERY easy:

find your mixer (in windwos it's the speaker-symbol beside the clock). double click that icon.

-> options
-> preferences/ properties or something like that

now you have to find the mixer for RECORDING. make sure you choose midi synth. now everytime you hit the record-button in any application, this application will record what you would hear from your midi-synth. now you just have to play your midi-file and it will be recorded.

cheers
six

Back