Midi to Audio noise?

bigeasy

I am using SBLlive Platium with Cakewalk ProAudio 9 and a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer. I am able to convert MIDI to Audio but during playback of the audio I get this hissssing sound - only on the newly converted Audio tracks is where I hear the hissssing noise. Somewhere in the conversion process this noise is being created. I have the line in on the back of the soundcard to channel 5/6 on the mixer and I have the line out to Alt output on the back of the mixer. I've tried downloading the updated drivers for my mainboard and even changed bus slots so I wouldn't have any IRQ conflicts. I also have downloaded the lasted drivers for WindowsME for the SBLivePlatium and I am still hearing the hisssing noise. Can someone offer some insight please?

Sounds to me that you are recording the MIDI tracks at too low of a volume. This would result in the recorded music being closer in overall level to the noise floor of your soundcard. When you raise the volume to hear the music more clearly, the hiss is also raised up and becomes noticeable. Just a wild-assed guess.

big easy,

First of all, are you converting your midi files into
audio utilizing the sound cards mixer?

If not that would be the best way to do it. You
wouldnt need an outboard mixer at all. You would
still need to make sure your recording levels are
as high as you can get them without clipping.

Also, make sure you uncheck the apply dither option.
Use that only during the mixdown stage.

Back