midi to audio delay

Falopo

Hi, ive been having a problem when i record my midi to an audio track. I have a yamaha motif and i use nuendo. When i record the midi to audio, the audio signal comes up a fraction of a second before the midi signal, which then causes problems when i try to look the audio or have it go along with the metronome.
whats the problem?
thanks

I'm not realy familiar with nuendo. Was it Mac, or Windows? Anyway, by saying "...causes problems when i try to look the audio or have it go along with the metronome", I assume the MIDI is too late rather than the audio is too early, am I right? What connection do you use when connecting it to your computer? I would suggest checking your MIDI card's driver. Make sure there's no missconfig in both driver/OS and nuendo.

;)
Jaymz

what i meant to say was that it causes problems when i try to "loop" the audio. Lets say i record the midi to audio and the note on the midi graph starts on beat one of a measure. The audio will record a split second before the beat which means i have to line it up after i record it, which is a pain. I guess it seems weird that the audio note is recorded before the midi signal but thats what its doing. i assume there is some kind of delay on the midi note from the time it is actually being triggered. I am using windows and i have a terratec ews88d sound card with midi connections on that.

Midi is a 31.2K baud serial language, and as such DOES introduce a tiny delay to each note.

How large is the delay you are experiencing?

Is it something you can hear or just something that you see and that you wanted an explanation for?

I think I remember the resolution of Nuendo being something like 768 pulses per quarter note which means at normal tempos a single clock pulse would be inaudible...

I guess it seems weird that the audio note is recorded before the midi signal but thats what its doing.

LOL... that would involve time travel or some other magic.

Back