Midi Thru Gameport. Heeeeeelp!

Teejay_dee

OK, Windows ME (poor me), and some crappy VIA AC97 Soundcard. But, despite having a gameport, it doesn't seem to want to recognise the gameport to allow control on an external Synth.

Any tips, or answers, or help, or a head massage, or the location of a driver to allow this would be gratefully received!!

Have a look at your Device Manager. Expand the branch near the bottom labeled "Sound, Video and Game Controlers". Do you see MPU-401 represented?

If not, it could mean your soundcard dosen't support midi, but this is pretty unlikely these days.

So, now that you're sure you've got midi on your box, goto control panel and open your Multimedia properties applet.

Click the "Devices" tab. Expand all the branches under "Midi Devices and Instuments".

You should see "External Midi Instrument" in there. Usually under the branch with "MPU 401" mentioned.

If you don't see it here, but you did see it under Device Manager, than you need to click the "Midi" tab and click the "Add New Instrument" button (as long as your keyboard is currently connected to your soundcard).

At this point follow your nose. It should be quite simple.

Of course, all the above works in the states, I have no idea what wrinkles exist in the UK version of Windows.

Hope this helps you :D

Back