midi sysex data

Can HS2004 accept a midi sysex dump?
Or can my SB Live! Value card accept one?

Well, I think that HS2004 can do that, it's only MIDI data after all. Certainly the SB Live card can if you have its MIDI interface in use. After all, the MIDI interface just passes MIDI messages, and has no way of itself knowing that it's sysex or any other class of MIDI data.

"Well, I think that HS2004 can do that, it's only MIDI data after all. Certainly the SB Live card can if you have its MIDI interface in use. After all, the MIDI interface just passes MIDI messages, and has no way of itself knowing that it's sysex or any other class of MIDI data."

hmmm...
your probably right about being able to do that. But I'm totally new to midi, only try to understand what I read here.
Maybe I should just stick to the basics for now?

The reason I asked is I thought maybe I could take the DM5 drum kit and some other things from my Alesis QS 6.2 synth and store it somewhere on my computer. Also I'll be getting the "Vintage Keys" Q card in the mail soon and thought I could store that too somewhere on my computer.

Does anyone know the procedure to do this, if it's possible?

James Argo said:
Well, you better ask them first (Cakewalk Technical Support) for this feature in HS 2004. I'm not sure, but I heard older HS doesn't have sysex saving ability :(

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19725

;)
Jaymz
I checked in my n-track and it has a "Midi system exclusive bank" with a "send" and "receive" which the alesis manual says to hit the "receive" and then hit send on the synth. But nothing happened. :(
It's not that big of a deal, I'm really not sure why I would want to do this anyway.?

As far as HS2004, I haven't received it yet to check it out, should be coming fedex Tues. or Wed.
I may call tech support just to ask though.

I think I'll save you guy's/gal's energy so you can help me with just the basics when my HS2004 comes! :)

rvf263 said:
I checked in my n-track and it has a "Midi system exclusive bank" with a "send" and "receive" which the alesis manual says to hit the "receive" and then hit send on the synth. But nothing happened. :(
That's the way I do it (in Sonar, that is).

And you must make sure you've connected the synth and the PC correctly togehter with MIDI-cables... :rolleyes: ;)

moskus said:
That's the way I do it (in Sonar, that is).

And you must make sure you've connected the synth and the PC correctly togehter with MIDI-cables... :rolleyes: ;)

Well, I think I did that correct. Maybe...

I connected the one end to the SB live! midi/joystick socket.
I then connected:
Midi "Out" >>> Synth "In"
Midi "In" >>>> Synth "Out"

I checked in my n-track and it has a "Midi system exclusive bank" with a "send" and "receive" which the alesis manual says to hit the "receive" and then hit send on the synth. But nothing happened.
It's not that big of a deal, I'm really not sure why I would want to do this anyway.?

Well, every instrument has it's own pre defined "ID number" to be recognized by the software. You must specify the instrument to your software, to send sysex request to the synth.

For example, (in software) select Alessis DM 5 System Info. The software will "ask" the device to send it's System info, thus the software recieve it. Then you may save the data as sysex file. Once it's saved, you can send the data back to DM5 latter to recall the system info, whenever particular change to the DM5 system info has been made :)

...are you trying to say that I must configure the n-track / cakewalk to work with sysex & DM5, Jaymz ?

Yes. Most likely so :)

...can you give me something more simple, Jaymz ?

Yup... this thread...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71999

Back if you have any further question :)

;)
Jaymz

Back